Anna Schultz-Girl And Guy Couple Laughing With Milkshakes
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Can a Guy and a Girl Ever Only Be “Just Friends”?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Jim and Pam, Monica and Chandler, Harry and Sally…

These are only a few iconic film and tv couples that started off as friends. They’re the ones we binge-watch for hours on end, rooting for their relationship and wishing we had the same thing. But what we tend not to think about is if this situation is similar to those in our own lives. In reality, can guys and girls ever be ‘just friends’? Or, like in the movies, does it lead to something more? I’m here to give my opinion on this question.

I would be lying if I told you that I didn’t think about this question at least once (or twice) a week… okay, actually once or twice a day.

Yes, guys and girls could end up being just friends but, for the most part, I think it always leads to something more. Based on my own experiences, one, if not both, people in the friendship end up catching feelings for the other. If neither feels romantic towards the other, they’ve at least thought about it once. I personally know several people who claimed that they’re ‘just friends’ who’ve ended up dating about a week later. One couple in particular have been friends since childhood. Another specific couple I know only met halfway into last semester. And before they were dating, they were the best of friends. Even in my personal life, I’ve had a guy friend or two who’ve admitted they have feelings for me. When only one of the friends has romantic intentions, it can become a sticky situation. The friendship could become awkward, or the guy (or girl) might start to slowly back away if their emotions become too strong. 

But at the same time, I think it’s better for both parties to just share their intentions and feelings to each other. One thing to remember is that most people are scared of their emotions and the strength and influence they can have on them. So for what it’s worth, just take the risk and tell your friend how you feel! This may be awkward, but if you’re honest with one another, it can end up making your relationship stronger, whether that be romantically or platonically. And you never know, maybe the other person has the same feelings towards you!

Think about it this way: most people were friends before they started dating. Even if they started out going on dates, they had to become acquainted with each other previous to putting a label on their relationship. So, even if you are ‘just friends,’ take into consideration the idea that it will probably mean something more. You never know, you could end up being just as idolized as the couples you only see in movies.

Olivia is a Computer Science major at Bucknell. Aside from her love of the sciences, she has a strong appreciation for the arts, literature, and writing.