Campus Vinyl: An In-Depth Resource for Bucknell’s Music Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

“We all just love music.” That about sums up my interview with Justin and Zac Westdyke, two of the three students spearheading the new organization, Campus Vinyl. Along with Nick Stetz, they are in the midst of taking the Bucknell music scene by storm with their comprehensive, all-access, backstage pass of a website. The initial concept was born from Stetz’s idea to create a website that would give Bucknell students information about all different types of music, on and off campus; in line with this goal, the founders hope to increase awareness about the huge amount of musical talent that resides on campus. In their view, the website will build support for and knowledge of the different musical options on campus, whether they be student groups, university ensembles, or solo artists.

The website is easy to navigate, and has various categories to guide your perusal. It is designed to be “as inclusive as possible, but with a focus on Bucknell,” according to Zac. The Bucknell News section features on-campus musicians, upcoming events, and “Spotlight Artists” or specific, highlighted performers. This aspect is Justin’s favorite: “I think it’s awesome that we have all of these student performers and bands here on campus. Every Friday night you can go to 7th Street and hear people performing. They’re really, really talented and [their existence] is one of the more overlooked aspects of our school’s culture,” he says. This section aims to bridge the connection between performer and audience.

Another section, entitled Beyond the Bubble, features album reviews, up-and-coming artist information, local concert information, and lifestyle articles. From suggestions on study music to information about nearby concerts and festivals, this section helps foster musical appreciation outside of Bucknell.

Student Groups is another main section, which features profiles for all a cappella groups, ensembles, and WVBU. The wealth of music knowledge concentrated in one central location is truly comprehensive.  

So you may be asking yourself: how is an endeavor this massive possible? Well, the three have pulled together a creative team of head journalists, journalists, and technological support. They largely credited VP of Technology Jonathan Como, whose technical prowess keeps things running behind the scenes. Additionally, each member of the team comes with his or her own musical taste. According to Zac, “[the team’s interests] span the entire spectrum of genres, which is cool because I hear stuff I wouldn’t typically listen to, and now I find it enjoyable.” Suffice to say, there is something for everyone at Campus Vinyl.

As Campus Vinyl moves forward, they have specific goals in mind. A long-term goal is to become a student organization with established bylaws and university funding. One day, they hope eventually to become a national organization with branches at different institutions. The organization is truly something that Bucknell has never seen. When asked to compare Campus Vinyl to an existing publication, Justin called it “A Rolling Stones-type online magazine, with a centralized focus on Bucknell.” And the audience for Campus Vinyl is not just musicians — their goal is to appeal to anyone with an interest in music. So head over to www.campusvinyl.com, scroll through their events calendar, and read some articles – you’re sure to find something that’ll peak your interest!

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!