Campus Celeb: Kelsey Hicks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

1. What is your role as head of the Women’s Resource Center? What role does the WRC play in the lives of women on campus?

As the Director of the Women’s Resource Center, I am one of several front-line resources for our campus community through Intercultural Equity and Advocacy. I also coordinate our Advocate Program, which supports members of our campus community through incidents of stalking, dating violence, and sexual assault. The Women’s Resource Center is a place of empowerment, support, and education for women and all members of our campus community.

2. Are there any upcoming campus events with which the WRC will be involved that our readers might like to know about or participate in?

Our book club Between the Covers has started. Our September book is Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes. Our meeting is September 19 at noon in the WRC. First Fridays in September, October and November focus on different aspects of self-care. Additionally, we are celebrating our 30th Anniversary on the campus of Bucknell University. Event details will be announced soon!!

In collaboration with SpeakUp, we will also be a part of the Clothesline Project and Take Back the Night on October 26, 2017 at 6 PM.

3. How do you think Bucknell women can be allies to one another?

I believe our campus is on the right track with creating an environment where members of our campus community can feel supported, empowered, respected and affirmed. We can all make room for the diverse perspectives present and challenge ourselves and others as we navigate policies and procedures, laws and regulations that infringe on anyone’s rights to have autonomy over their bodies, lives, and livelihoods. We can stop shaming those whose lives and bodies differ from our own and welcome the freedom to be different.

4. What do you think is society’s biggest misconception about feminism, and how would you resolve it?

Society’s biggest misconception about feminism involves a single narrative of what feminism is, who is allowed to benefit from it, and who is allowed access to it. Feminism is not about women being equal to men; it is about all people having equity in accessibility to resources, compensation, rights, and autonomy. I would resolve it the way I work right now by using my platform for voices who are often marginalized, tokenized, and isolated, by providing opportunities for stories to be shared, and by challenging those around me to do the same.

5. Who is your feminist role model and why?

I do not really have a feminist role model. I am drawn to the hard work of the women behind Black Lives Matter: Alicia Garza, Opal Tometi, and Patrisse Cullors. I am amazed at their resiliency, tenacity and fortitude. They have used their platform to bring awareness to many issues that the media overlooks and they have been at the forefront fighting for the injustices of all people.

Olivia is a junior writer and VP Tech for Her Campus Bucknell. She loves being on the Her Campus team because it's a unique platform for college women to support one another. Outside of Her Campus, Olivia is obsessed with her Westie, a lover of all things coral, and a muffin fanatic.