Campus Celeb: Holly Grosholz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The Basics

Name: Holly Grosholz

Hometown: Marcellus, NY

Class Year: 2017

Favorites

Activities at Bucknell: President of Operations for ACE, Bucknell Alumni Association Student Representative, Admissions Ambassador, Kappa Alpha Theta, Arts Merit Scholar, Bucknell Band, Commencement Ambassador

Spot on campus: You can almost always find me in the CAP Center, 7th Street, or the East Reading Room. Although it looks like my new spot for the rest of the semester will be in the depths of the library in my thesis carrel.

Class at Bucknell: Public Opinion with Professor Ellis. I had been wanting to take the class since freshman year because I’ve always been interested in the intersection between psychology and political science. Being in that class with some of my best friends in the major and with my favorite professor in the midst of the most confusing and interesting election cycles was such a unique experience. Every class discussion was interesting and caused me to think about other points of view in a way I hadn’t in other courses. If anyone gets the chance to take a class with Ellis, do it.

Bucknell memory: Planning Chrysalis my sophomore year. There is no other opportunity on this campus for a student to have such autonomy over our biggest campus tradition. You work with so many different departments on campus, learn delegation, all while attempting to balance all the other responsibilities associated with planning and executing the event. Being able to see my vision come to life and have over 2,000 students, faculty, and staff enjoy it was something that I will never forget.

Place you’ve been: London will forever have my heart.

Book: The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan

Movie: 500 Days of Summer or Singin’ in the Rain

Song: Impossible to pick one so anything by The Avett Brothers, Frank Turner, or Will Varley.

What has been your favorite part of being ACE President? Working with my co-President, Nikki Lazarus. I wouldn’t be able to do anything without her. I am also so proud when I see how much our Programming Chairs and General Members grow as leaders and do things to challenge and stretch themselves.

How has being in ACE enriched your time at Bucknell? I am a better leader and a better person because of ACE. During my freshman year, ACE was the first place that made me comfortable and welcome and embraced me and wanted to improve me. Four years later and it’s still an organization full of the most caring and welcoming people. It has given me the opportunity to grow as a leader, challenge myself, and have opportunities I never would have expected before coming to college.

As a senior, any advice to underclassmen? Nobody cares if you don’t go to the party. In your four years you will have thousands of opportunities presented to you- cool events to go to, organizations to join, theses to write, and challenging classes to take. I hear from so many people that they feel like they waited too long to get involved or do something until senior year. Learn what you enjoy and what makes you happy and do it without focusing on whether or not it’s cool or expected.

As someone who is very involved on campus, what is your advice for people who want to do more on campus?

If you feel lost about where to start, go to the CAP Center. They will be able to help you identify the organizations that would be best for you. Also, when researching which organizations to join, inquire about how active they are. If you’re looking to invest yourself in something, a club that only meets once a month probably isn’t for you. I know that joining something freshman year can seem daunting as you’re trying to get assimilated to everything else, but once you invest yourself in an organization, that is when you will make friends and feel much more connected to the rest of campus.

Anything left on your bucket list before graduating?

Write all of the people who have impacted me on campus thank you cards.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Living in DC, working in politics and surrounded by the people I love- my family and friends.

Emma Sheehy is a senior English major at Bucknell University. Now washed up, she can be seen running around Lewisburg, people watching on the first floor of the library and drinking wine in her apartment. She prefers to send snail mail, call people rather than text (to the dismay of her friends) and loves nighttime walks. To see more of her "stuff" check out her personal blog on life at Bucknell at http://www.emmasheehy.com.
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.