Bumble Hero Original?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Bumble Hero Original?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

Bumble, Do Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Lauren Smith Fields was a bright and ambitious young woman. At the time of her death she was studying to be a physical therapist all while maintaining a robust social media presence and living on her own. On December 12, 2021 the 23 year old’s body was found. Her family was not notified of her death and they have been searching for answers on their own ever since. Lauren was reported dead by her Bumble date; a person the police called “a nice man,” who they did not arrest. They have yet to charge anyone with her death, however, a criminal investigation has been opened.

Bumble prides itself for being a dating app that is different from the rest. For heterosexual couples, women must make the first move in order for a conversation to be had. In same sex couples, both partners can initiate conversation. In addition, the person who makes the first move must do it within 24 hours and the person who receives the message has 24 hours to respond. The creator of Bumble, Whitney Wolfe, cites wanting to change gender norms and wanting to create a safe environment for women as her inspiration for creating the app. But is this the reality?

Multiple women have made reports that Bumble does not do enough to combat sexual assualt and dating violence. Lauren-Smith Field’s case brings this long ignored issue to light. In an age where dating apps are one of the most popular means to meet romantic partners we must set standards for the apps that facilitate this interaction. Bumble must answer to investors and create profits which opens up the potential for prioritizing profits over safety. We saw this story with Boeing’s 737 Max 8 crashes and we do not want it to repeat.

So what should we ask of Bumble and similar dating apps?

1. Thoroughly conduct background checks on new users.
  2. Prohibit unsafe users from using the app in the future.
  3. Protect the information of users in the app.
  4. Disseminate information for how to have a safe meet-up.
  5. Provide in-app services to report users, contact authorities, and contact domestic violence and sexual assualt hotlines.
  6. Provide support for users who have experienced sexual assualt and dating violence.

These seem like simple requests. But many have not yet been implemented. If Bumble continues to want our business, these are the least they can do. If you are on Bucknell’s Campus and need help please contact Public Safety at 570-577-1111. If you would like to speak to an experienced confidential resource, Lindsey Higgins, the Interpersonal Violence Coordinator is available at 570-577-1542. In addition, the Title IX Coordinator, Samantha Hart is available at  570-577-1554 and the Counseling and Student Development Center is available at 570-577-1604. For students on and off campus, the National Sexual Assualt Hotline is available at 1-800-656-4673, the Trevor Project (an LGBTQIA+ support organization) is available at (866)-488-7386, and the National Domestic Violence Hotline is 800-799-7233. If you have any information on Lauren Smith-Fields case please contact 203 576-TIPS

Sources:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/05/how-did-lauren-smith-fields-die-and-will-the-police-take-her-death-seriously

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Lawyer-Bumble-date-who-called-in-Lauren-16811743.php

https://bumble.com/about

Hi, I'm Kendall Garnett and I am a senior Biology and Spanish major at Bucknell University. I am also one of two Campus Correspondents/Chapter leaders for HerCampus Bucknell. When I am not busy researching the next big pandemic I like to write culture and entertainment pieces.