Bucknell Senior (Citizen) Housing Explained

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As the semester starts wrapping up, rising seniors are making the final housing decision of their college career. With downtown lottery numbers having already been assigned, many seniors are stranded wondering where to live during their last year in Lewisburg. Included are the three most popular living arrangements, as well as pros and cons of each of the options from their current residents.

Living Downtown

One of the most anticipated senior privileges is the opportunity to live in downtown Lewisburg. This comes at a cost, and with only 200 slots open, this is by far the most selective.

Pros: Being able to live with your friends in a house on your own and the freedom to host parties, pregames and Supers.

Cons: Having to deal with a landlord outside of Bucknell. Additionally, not living in school-sponsored housing means taking accountability when things go wrong (A/C and heat, internet, water). There is also the added accountability of registering parties and complying with security.

Apartments

Built last year, the South Campus Apartments are the new, shiny option for upperclassmen. Although the appeal of being in a brand new building has its perks, there are also some less-than-ideal aspects to take into consideration.

Pros: Large living quarters with new amenities and close proximity to the Commons.

Cons: The location is on the less than ideal side, despite the shuttle that goes back and forth between downtown and uphill (roughly a half hour walk). The apartments also tend to be the more expensive option, at $4,300 a semester compared to the $4,100 in the Gateways or significantly lower downtown prices. “The fact that you have to key in any guests, even friends who live in the other apartments, can be a little annoying,” commented one senior, “but it’s a minor complaint for living in such a nice building – our laundry is right down the hall.”

Gateways

The original apartment-style living before 2015, the Gateways offer four-person suite style as well. This housing option offers the convenience of living near downtown without having to take out a lease.

Pros: Centrally located between campus and downtown, the gateways are great meet up spots for friends all over campus.

Cons: The buildings are older with fewer convenient amenities. “Laundry is not in the building, and the stairs going up the Roberts stairs are my own personal hell every Friday morning,” states Sarah Och ’17. “Additionally, it’s pretty close living with your other roommates.” 

Emma Sheehy is a senior English major at Bucknell University. Now washed up, she can be seen running around Lewisburg, people watching on the first floor of the library and drinking wine in her apartment. She prefers to send snail mail, call people rather than text (to the dismay of her friends) and loves nighttime walks. To see more of her "stuff" check out her personal blog on life at Bucknell at http://www.emmasheehy.com.
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.