Bill Nye: What You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The beloved 90’s television show starring Bill Nye the Science Guy won over our young hearts and minds when we were kids. On February 23rd at 7 p.m. at the Weis Center for the Performing Arts, William Sanford “Bill” Nye will engage the students of Bucknell in a discussion surrounding the recent advancements in the field of science. While it may be easy to recall the catchy theme song of his T.V. show from many years ago, students may be wondering what Bill Nye has been up to since his last visit to Bucknell in 2007.

The enthusiastic scientist, engineer, comedian, and inventor we used to tune into and watch every afternoon has been busy writing and publishing two extraordinary New York Times bestsellers. Making use of his mechanical engineering degree from Cornell University, Bill Nye published his first book, entitled Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation, in November of 2014. This important and captivating text discusses various evolutionary theories and the ways in which life on earth has evolved and will continue to change. Addressing the scientific issues of our world today is Bill Nye’s second publication: Unstoppable: Harnessing Science to Change the World. Nye’s second book debuted recently in November of 2015 and describes the usage of science to improve our environment as we continue to face ecological challenges, such as global warming and an increased standard of living.

In between publishing two books in just the past three years, Bill Nye has also had time to serve as the CEO of The Planetary Society. Founded in 1980, The Planetary Society is a non-profit organization that aims to encourage the exploration of space in order to better understand humankind. In addition to contributing his efforts to educational causes, Nye has visited college campuses across the country to spread his wealth of scientific knowledge and advocate for a better future for our environment.

Don’t miss out on the opportunity to see our favorite, kooky scientist speak and perform live! Student tickets are available for pickup at the Weis Center on Tuesday, February 23rd from 12 pm to 4 pm, so be sure to grab one in between class or on your way to the library. The anticipation has been building all semester, and the time has finally come to welcome Bill Nye to Bucknell’s campus!

Sources: