The Big Freeze: Preparing for and Enjoying Winter in Lewisburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As I was excitedly donning my mad hatter costume this past weekend while sipping apple cider and munching roasted pumpkin seeds, I glanced outside my window expecting the vibrant collage of fall leaves and…wait…is that snow??  It is sad but true:  just as Bucknell is enjoying all of the pleasures of fall – pumpkin picking at Ards, hot apple cider and donuts, crunchy leaves – winter seems to be descending upon us.  As one of my housemates scraped off her car window with an umbrella this past weekend (cursing the entire time), I realized that the advent of winter could be made a lot less painful by some simple preparation.
              First, your car.  Winter snow and ice can wreak havoc on our vehicles, especially on Bucknell’s hilly campus.  Good supplies and conscientious car care can stave off many types of mishaps.  Most of us probably have a run-of-the-mill ice scraper somewhere in our trunk (in my case buried under books, Wal Mart receipts, and crumpled sweatshirts), but this winter, do your hands a favor and upgrade.  Many vendors, including Lands End and Brookstone, offer ice scrapers that are attached to huge, warm gloves to protect your hand from snow, ice, and chilling winds while you scrape.  It is best to scrape your windows as soon after snowfall as possible so the snow does not melt, refreeze, and form an icy layer that is very difficult to get off.  A small snow shovel and a small bag of sand for traction are good things to have as well.  I have a shovel that can be taken apart to fit in a trunk.  It seems that one of the Lewisburg parking enforcement officers’ favorite winter pastimes is having vehicles towed.  Last year a friend of mine was towed for not moving her car on a street cleaning day even though it was completely stuck in a snow bank and she could not dig it out (she left a note on the windshield explaining this and was towed anyways).  If you run into this situation, dig out as much snow as you can with your handy shovel and spread sand around your tires to give you traction as you drive out. 
              Also, if you live downtown, check your lease for stipulations about parking and snow.  My lease has a clause saying that if it is snowing, my car has to be moved from our parking lot by 10 AM to allow them to plow or it will be towed.  Again, towing is expensive and never ideal.  One may also wonder, do I need snow tires?  Check out this link for advice on the topic: http://www.netquote.com/newsletter/archive/10-2006/snow-tires.aspx .  Lastly, make sure to drive your car often in the winter.  My 1992 Volvo station wagon used to have a lot of trouble starting if left in the cold un-driven for long periods of time, but even newer cars can have problems.  So on a day when the weather is decent, take your car for a drive to Target and the drive-thru Starbucks down 15.  Your car will thank you!
               As for footwear, standard Uggs are fine once snow is cleared, but terrible for hiking up the hill to class on top of snow and ice.  With their lack of traction, I have seen many wipe-outs on campus.  Plus, water, snow, and salt can ruin the material.  I know that sometimes getting them wet is unavoidable, and that is what Ugg cleaner is for.  It can be a bit expensive, but is worth it on the long run to keep your Uggs nice.  For snowy weather, check out the “Performance” category on the Ugg website or, if that’s not your cup of tea, look at Lands End or LL Bean.  Remember to look for insulated boots with a rubber sole and serious treads for traction.  As always, hats and gloves are both fashionable and useful.  Browse places like the Bucknell Bookstore and Wilson Ross for cute and unique styles.  The bookstore has hats, gloves, and scarves that are on-trend and don’t have Bucknell logos on them in the corner by the elevator on the second floor.  “Eternity scarves”, scarves with the two ends attached to form a large circle, are also cozy and stylish.  Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC8bMYo-nS0 for several ways to wear these clever scarves.  Cheesy, yes, but informative.  
                 Hopefully, with these tips, you will be able to adequately stave off several things that make winter a pain and begin to enjoy the season.  Whether you prefer the quiet beauty of sitting by the window and watching the snow with a cup of hot chocolate or the exhilaration of sledding in the Grove (just be careful to avoid collisions with trees!), there is a lot to love about winter at Bucknell.  Looking for entertainment?  Check out the Lewisburg town events calendar for things like a holiday tree lighting, late night gift shopping downtown, and the much-loved Victorian holiday parade as well as special events at the Campus Theater. http://www.lewisburgpa.com/events/events-calendar/ And, though this is months in the future, remember that there are the Ice Festival and Polar Bear Plunge to look forward to in February!  So enjoy the leaves, afternoons at Ards, and autumn strolls while you can, but when winter comes, bundle up and embrace the season!

Michelle Joline is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in Art History with minors in French and English (Creative Writing). Michelle is pursuing a career in broadcast media and entertainment, stemming off her long love of television and film. She is a co-founder and editor for Bucknell's branch of Her Campus and also spends her time as the Arts & Life editor of her school's newspaper, The Bucknellian. Michelle enjoys frozen yogurt, her golden retriever, New York City, movie trivia, and religiously reading The New York Times. She has been told her celebrity lookalike is none other than Michelle Tanner.