Best Dates to Heat Up Your Romance this Winter!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As we return to our classes, dorms, and friends at Bucknell for the semester, many of us are also returning to our significant others.  If you’re like me, you haven’t seen your flame in weeks and especially with all this snow, its time to heat things up!  Whether you have a boyfriend/girlfriend, a FWB, or a crush you are thinking of making the first move with, a “romantic” dinner at the Bison is not the most exciting way to kick off the semester.  Here are some ideas for different types of couples to start off 2012 in a romantic, fabulous way!  No romance in your life just now?  All of these ideas also work as outings with a group of friends.

Adventurous Couple:  If you two love your outdoor adventures and sledding in the Grove is just not cutting it, why not take a trip to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon?  Otherwise known as the Pine Creek Gorge, this natural wonder of PA is about an hour from Lewisburg.  Enjoy some scenic winter hiking including deep canyons and waterfalls.  Take a walk on the Pine Creek Rail Trail, an old railroad track that cuts through the floor of the canyon.  If you want to make a weekend of it, there are some adorable restaurants and B&Bs where you can warm up and have a romantic dinner and evening.  Start planning your trip here: http://PAcanyon.com/

Foodie Couple:  If you are a couple that love love LOVES a nice restaurant and that has already exhausted Brasserie Louis and Elizabeth’s, give Reba and Pancho’s a try!  It is a more upscale-type eatery that serves Mediterranean and Mexican fare. The owner is Mexican but went to cooking school in Italy, which gives him a unique culinary heritage.  He runs the place with his wife and the two of them live upstairs!  So sweet.  It is also BYOB, so 21 year olds are in luck!  (Note, they DO card).  The menu rotates so there is always something new.  Get there early though, because they have been known to run out of popular items later in the night.  Get directions here: http://www.rebaandpanchos.com/directions.html

The Artsy Couple:  There is always the Samek, but if the two of you need something different to get your creative juices flowing, tap into Lewisburg’s fabulous antiquing scene!  As a writer myself, nothing is more fascinating and inspiring than looking at strange old things and using them as a taking-off point for my art.  My favorites are Street of Shops and Roller Mills.  These places are like free museums, except better because you can touch and interact with things and if you find a real treasure, even bring it home!  As a fun activity, designate $5 or $10 for each of you and see who can find the most inspiring object to purchase within the budget!  Nothing like a little playful competition to heat things up.

Animal Loving Couple:  Are the two of you all about the National Geographic channel and visiting the monkey cages by the Mods?  There are some great places right in our area for you two to experience together.  Now, I know we all joke about Reptiland, but have you ever actually been there?  Well, I have, and despite my fear of slithery, scaly things, I love that place.  Admission is cheap and you get to see wonderful creatures like a couple of full-grown alligators (named Rocky and Adrienne, who adorable is that?) and my personal favorites, brightly colored poison dart frogs!  Just know that you will probably be the only young adults there – the zoo is a hot spot for children and families.  So embrace your inner child!  There is also a tiny café if you want to grab a snack for two.

Movie Buff Couple:  Yes, the Selinsgrove movie theater is bigger, but The Campus Theater is far superior for atmosphere.  Newly renovated, this quaint one-screen theater right on Market Street boasts some very grand paintings on the walls and comfy couches in the back.  This month, catch “Anonymous”, a fictional film about the theory that Shakespeare was not actually the author of the legendary plays attributed to him, or the sci-fi “Melancholia”.  In February, keep your eyes out for coming attractions “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” and “The Artist”.  Tickets are already extra cheap here, but if you are on a budget, stop in for a Bucknell Class screening – these showings are free.  “Ghosts of Attica”, on Tuesday the 31st at 7 PM, sounds dramatic and fascinating.  Find the full December schedule here: http://www.campustheatre.org/CampusTheatreCalendar.html

Sporty Couple:  Of course, football season is drawing to its dramatic conclusion this month, but if you sports fans are looking for a more “live” experience, try a Bucknell basketball game!  The men’s team is on fire this season, currently undefeated in the Patriot League.  Bucknell spirit is high at these events, with student sections packed-out, oranged-out, and outspoken!  So slather on that orange and blue face paint, throw on matching orange t-shirts, and come out for a game.  The next two home games are this Wednesday the 25th versus American and the 4th versus Army (both, 7 PM).

Michelle Joline is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in Art History with minors in French and English (Creative Writing). Michelle is pursuing a career in broadcast media and entertainment, stemming off her long love of television and film. She is a co-founder and editor for Bucknell's branch of Her Campus and also spends her time as the Arts & Life editor of her school's newspaper, The Bucknellian. Michelle enjoys frozen yogurt, her golden retriever, New York City, movie trivia, and religiously reading The New York Times. She has been told her celebrity lookalike is none other than Michelle Tanner.