The Best and Worst Fashion of the 2014 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Let the games begin!  The biggest sporting event of the year, the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi Russia, officially kicked off on February 7th at the Opening Ceremony.  The best and most talented winter athletes came together, country by country alphabetically, and paraded their way through the Olympic stadium. They were dressed to the nines in their best patriotic wear, beaming with team spirit and pride for their nations.  Coincidentally, New York Fashion Week began this week as well, so just in case all you fashionistas missed it, here are the best (and worst) dressed teams that marched through the stadium! 

Best DressedThese teams rocked it.  Not only did they display their patriotism and team spirit; they also they did it while looking sleek and stylish.  Here are the best of the best!

USA

First and foremost, I have to give it up for our very own red, white and blue.  The American flag and red, white and blue scheme has been trending in fashion for the last few years. Whether you are wearing a flag sweater, scarf or top, American girls are taking more and more pride in their country and the colors we proudly represent.  Ralph Lauren designed this classic look, which includes sleek sweatpants, an earflap hat, Alpine-inspired hiking boots and a patchwork shawl collar cardigan.  It’s an extremely young, fun and patriotic look that I’m sure everyone in the audience enjoyed. 

Japan

Sometimes, less is truly more!  This was definitely the case for Team Japan’s opening ceremony wear.  Their look was something simplistic, almost like their minimalistic flag, pairing a long white coat with black pants and matching sneakers.  It was a sharp, clean look that showed simplicity is chic and always timeless.  The sea of pristine white jackets looked spectacular en masse, capturing the wintry spirit of the Games.

Norway

I really love the contrast of the light blue snow paints with the white winter jacket.  Once again, this is a clean and simple look that shows patriotism, while also bringing in the style factor.  While I could definitely do without the metallic newsboy caps (or any newsboy caps for that matter), the outfit is pulled together nicely to create the perfect, understated ensemble.  Well done, Norway. 

Russia

The host country wore designs by BOSCO. Their opening ceremony clothing was inspired by Russia’s culture and history, using tradition motifs, prints, and patterns.  The female athletes wore traditional-style apparel, such as toques and down coats trimmed with fur (my favorite part of the outfit) and decorated with symbols from Russian tradition. Male athletes were dressed to the nines as well, wearing vintage-esque double-breasted navy coats, trimmed with sheepskin.  This team took a spin on the wintry look, and put more of a high fashion standard on it. 

Worst Dressed

Here are the Olympic teams that might’ve made you cringed as you watched them strut through the stadium.  .

Czech Republic

With these outfits, there is just way too much going on.  The adornments or patterns on the sides of the sleeves create a somewhat tacky look. The jackets aren’t particular sleek and fitted either; they look like sweatshirts.  Also, I can always appreciate a good fur, but the white and gray fur hats went a little bit over the top for me style-wise and color-wise, especially when wearing a white coat against it. 

Taiwan

I definitely think that Taiwan takes the cake for absolute worst dressed of the Opening Ceremony.  These floor-length coats are neither attractive nor practical.  Their outfits do not look put together or thought out whatsoever, and there’s no real clear sense of a complete ensemble or outfit for this team.  Nice try Taiwan, but I think this one is definitely cringe-worthy.  

Lithuania

This bright fluorescent lime green and dark green combination was most definitely not a winner in my book.  Way, way, way too much green in one outfit, and when I first say them I honestly thought they looked like a piece of fruit.  The look, or maybe just the color, is not as wintry feeling, as my other favorite teams. Moreover, the hats and scarves aren’t essential accessories, and do not add to the entire ensemble as a whole. 

Bermuda

If you’re at the Winter Olympics in Russia, I definitely think that shorts should not be a clothing option, regardless of whether you are used to the warm weather year-round.  Bermuda’s mundane and yawn-worthy outfit of red shorts, a white top and tie and a blazer was not exciting, nor did it represent the wintry feeling of the Winter Olympics.  While some might argue that it is a minimalist approach, I was not interested or fascinated by this ensemble at all.