Barbie’s New Ad: Yay or Nay?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

At a young age, we learn the meaning of the word “No,” as our parents discipline us and teach us boundaries. “No, you can’t have a chocolate chip cookie for lunch until you eat your vegetables,” introducing us to the value of healthy eating. Or, “No, you can’t play SuperSmash Bros until you’ve finished your homework,” emphasizing the importance of working hard before playing hard. 

Indubitably, the way we behave and the habits we exhibit were instilled in us at home at a young age. There’s a reason why the phrase “the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree” came into fruition, literally; it’s true. Love it or hate it, you probably are somewhat like your parents.

At the same time, many of our parents also inspired us to be ambitious and to believe that anything is possible. More often than not, little kids dream big; upon asking a little girl what she wants to be when she grows up, the answer “an astronaut” is certainly not an unlikely one. 

Barbie’s newest commercial, “Imagine The Possibilities,” showcases that ambition, displaying real adults’ reactions to young girls imagining everything they might one day become. The video, shot using hidden cameras, asks the viewer one simple question: “What happens when girls are free to imagine they can be anything?” The clip follows five little girls as they act out grown-up roles in the real world – and it has some adorable results.

It opens with a college classroom. Students file in, and eventually, a little girl around seven years old marches to the front of the room. Heads turn, and unsuspecting students look appropriately confused. The girl confidently and assertively introduces herself as “Gwenyth, your professor for today.” Gwyneth then tells her class that she “will be talking about the brain,” which causes the students all to crack out some pretty big smiles.

The commercial continues, and viewers meet Doctor Brooklyn, a veterinarian who proves her credentials to her patients by showing off her handmade nametag. Following her introduction is that of a motivating soccer coach, a museum tour guide, and a businesswoman talking on her cell phone in a busy airport.

The twist comes at the end when Professor Gwenyth asks her class to answer a question about the brain, and it’s revealed that she’s actually been imagining the entire scene all along. In truth, she’s been in her bedroom, lecturing a bunch of Barbie dolls in a makeshift classroom. The company’s message is then made clear: girls are not bound by anything – not even their own imaginations.

Undoubtedly, the commercial is inspiring. It fosters a sense of empowerment for girls of all ages, especially young ones. However, it is important to note that many young girls that play with the Barbie dolls don’t necessarily need that sense of encouragement; they are already dreaming big, still naïve to society’s typically held beliefs about gender norms that suggest women follow a certain career path.

Without a doubt, Barbie’s commercial would have been significantly more effective had the ad shown the little girls’ dreams becoming realities as they got older. This would have further emphasized that women really can do anything, and proven that we are not bound by heteronormative attitudes. And, they could have given Beyoncé a shout out at the same time, affirming that girls really do run the world.