This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Avatar The Last Airbender is back… for real this time. After multiple failed attempts to recapture the magic of the original story, the unveiling of Avatar Studios is a glimmer of hope for fans of this beloved series. The studio is a division of Paramount and will produce content for platforms including Paramount+ and Nickelodeon as well as third-party platforms and theatrical releases. The first project in the line-up is an animated theatrical film that is set to start production later this year (omg). After the abominable 2010 live action movie, a controversial Legend of Korra sequel series in 2012, and a once-promising live-action Netflix series that the original creators backed out of due to creative differences last year, this franchise is desperate for a win. 

But after this string of disappointment and bad luck, is it worth getting our hopes up? What’s different this time around?

For starters, the original creators and executive producers Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko are on board with full freedom and control as co-chief creative officers. Secondly, they’ll be working where Avatar The Last Airbender was first conceived: Nickelodeon Animation Studios. This news will hopefully allow fans feel a bit more assured in their optimism. What better place to explore the ATLA universe than its home environment where the ideas were first nurtured?

In an exclusive statement to Entertainment Weekly, DiMartino and Konietzko shared their enthusiasm to “develop our franchise and its storytelling on a vast scale, in myriad exciting ways and mediums.” They continue, saying that, “it’s hard to believe it’s been 19 years since we created Avatar: The Last Airbender…but even after all that time, there are still many stories and time periods in Aang’s world that we are eager to bring to life. We are fortunate to have an ever-growing community of passionate fans that enjoys exploring the Avatarverse as much as we do.”

As a true fan of the Avatar The Last Airbender, I was genuinely thrilled to hear this news after knowing the details. The thought of seeing all my favorite characters together on screen again makes me smile. With the creative control and respect from higher-ups, financial resources from Nickelodeon, and endless enthusiasm from fans, I think it’s reasonable to get excited about what Mike and Bryan have in store for us. The world of Avatar is so immersive, and I can’t wait to see what directions they’ll take. Despite the richness of the mythology that already exists, there’s still so much uncharted territory. What happened to Zuko’s mom? What is Uncle Iroh’s full backstory? Will we be introduced to a new Avatar? Maybe Kyoshi? What does the Gaang look like all grown up? 

These are just a few of the questions that could very well be answered soon enough. And if you’ve somehow made it to the end of this article without knowing what I’ve been  talking about, I have news for you: it’s time to watch Avatar The Last Airbender. Seriously, you don’t know what you’re missing. Forget all the preconceived ideas and negative connotations you have about animation and allow yourself to enjoy the adventures of the Avatar, a story that manages to be full of heart, epically fun, surprisingly dark, and emotionally sophisticated all at once. Not to mention the beautiful animation, dynamic world-building, and attention to narrative detail that gives even the most secondary characters depth and humanity. 

All three seasons are streaming now on Netflix and Paramount+, so go find out for yourself what all the hype is about!

Ellie Hooker

Bucknell '21

Ellie is a senior at Bucknell University. She is a double-major in psychology and geography and a minor in dance, as well as a member of the Bison Girls dance team. She joined Her Campus as a way to feel more involved on campus and to express herself through writing!
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell