Arts Festival Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

If you are anything like me, you are looking for an excuse to escape from the library and emerge into the activities of the real world.  Luckily, this weekend offers a built in study break with Arts Festival Weekend.  Events will be offered both on campus and downtown on April 27th and 28th that feature student and local talents.   Since the events range in their artistic expression, there is surely something to interest you more than writing a paper on global policy.

If you have a thing for dance, be sure to catch the Spring Dance Concert.  The Bucknell Dance Company, along with several guest choreographers and performers, will be performing their spring pieces at 8 p.m. in the Weis Center on both evenings. The cost is $5 to Bucknell students.

Got fashion on the brain?!  Who doesn’t with all of the new summer items hitting the stores?  Come support the hard work of the students in Culture Couture group as students sashay down the runway.  The event will take place at 2 pm on the Smith Quad, and is free to the public.

If you are looking for an audible piece of art, try finding it in the music produced by the Rooke Chapel Ringers.  Their annual concert will take place at the Chapel on Saturday at 8 p.m.  Students will be performing both original compositions and spirituals and classics.
Also be sure to come back to the Chapel on Sunday to hear the Rooke Chapel Choir give their Pre-Tour Concert.  At 7:30 p.m., the choir will perform the concert they intend to give while traveling in Europe!

Still looking for an artistic expression to meet your needs?  Stop by the Tustin Studio theater to see “How I Learned to Drive” by Paula Vogel.  The play runs at 2 pm on Saturday, and 8pm on Sunday.  The cost is $5, but it is a great way to support the hard work of director Ali Keller before she graduates this May.

Finally, if you’d rather just look at arts and crafts, grab a hot dog, and shop, head downtown to see the venders displaying their work.  Many of the booths will come from local stores and artists, and will offer unique crafts (Mother’s Day gifts perhaps?!).  Also, many of the downtown stores will be offering sales to accompany the event, which is never a bad study break.  

Michelle Joline is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in Art History with minors in French and English (Creative Writing). Michelle is pursuing a career in broadcast media and entertainment, stemming off her long love of television and film. She is a co-founder and editor for Bucknell's branch of Her Campus and also spends her time as the Arts & Life editor of her school's newspaper, The Bucknellian. Michelle enjoys frozen yogurt, her golden retriever, New York City, movie trivia, and religiously reading The New York Times. She has been told her celebrity lookalike is none other than Michelle Tanner.