This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Jay Sean is performing on the Sojka lawn at Bucknell September 13th. While you are very down to see him, here are some facts about him you may have not known before:

• His real name is actually Kamaljit Singh Jhooti. Jay is his nickname and Sean comes from “Shaan” which is a nickname his grandmother called him.

• Jay Sean is British and was born in England but has South Asian ancestry. 

• He is currently 38 years old and has been married to his wife Thara Prashad since 2009. They have a daughter named Thara and a son named Natalie.

• Younger Jay actually went to a private school and dropped out of training as a doctor at Barts & the London, Queen Mary’s School of Medicine & Dentistry once he secured a million pound record deal.

• His debut was in the UK’s Asian underground as a member of the Rishi Rich Project performing “Dance with You”.

• Jay’s journey began at age 11 which is when he became obsessed with hip-hop and watched Yo! MTV Raps since he was young. At 13, he started coming up with his own rhymes and would share with his friends.

• Jay was not expecting his first song released in America “Down” to be a smashing hit. He signed with Cash Money Records.

• His favorite artist is Musiq Soulchild but also loves Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie, and Justin Timberlake.

• He has toured with Joe Jonas and performed with Justin Timberlake.

• Jay describes himself as ambitious, fun-loving, and compassionate.

Hopefully these facts get you excited for Fall Festival! 

Clair Shin

Bucknell '21

Junior majoring in Mathematical Economics at Bucknell University
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell