This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Although the 2021 Met Gala is no longer monopolizing current headlines, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez continues to receive a great deal of backlash after attending the event wearing a dress with the words “Tax the Rich” boldly painted on the back.

The congresswoman attended the event free of charge, but people across the political spectrum are pointing out the hypocrisy of the garment. It’s not everyday my opinions overlap with those of right wing voters, but I am inclined to agree the dress was the wrong move. 

Let me be clear: the message in itself is not what is inherently problematic. Fighting for this slogan–which has also taken the form of sweatshirts, hats, and stickers on AOC’s merchandise website–to become a reality is absolutely necessary. However, the way in which the message was delivered poses innumerable problems. 

In a room filled with millionaires and billionaires, where the tickets just to get in the door are thousands of dollars, the prospect of lobbying anyone to be particularly on-board with giving up their money through a fashion statement feels performative and improbable. AOC was rubbing elbows with some of the richest, most elitist people in the country, and while some claim the dress made other guests uncomfortable, she was participating just the same. 

While the guest list immediately raises some red flags, those outside the event add another layer of hypocrisy to the matter. Of those protesting instances of social injustice, particularly pertaining to Black and brown citizens, nine people were arrested. In the most dystopian way, the highest class was given the chance to check themselves and acknowledge the extent of suffering in this country, but instead chose to look the other way in an attempt to have a nice evening. 

Not only was the setting seemingly tone deaf, but the company owned by Aurora James, the designer of the infamous dress, has been accused of failing to pay thousands of dollars of taxes. Additionally, the New York Post cited anonymous ex-employees who reported James contributed to a hostile work environment. 

In an attempt to get ahead of the criticism, AOC took to social media to clarify that she was not the only New York politician in attendance. In an Instagram post, she wrote “And yes, BEFORE anybody starts wilding out – NYC elected officials are regularly invited to and attend the Met due to our responsibilities in overseeing our city’s cultural institutions that serve the public. I was one of several in attendance.” But in no way did this event “serve the public.” The event is inherently elitist, and the people for whom she claims to fight, particularly the working class, are completely shut out. 

While it almost seems trivial to discuss a dress in this much depth, the hypocrisy is jarring. One cannot fully fight for the working class when participating in elitism, and AOC put that on full display at the Met Gala. 

AOC is not a celebrity. We cannot flood her Instagram with a million praises when she makes such a hollow gesture that ultimately does nothing but appease the conscience of the upper class. She is a public servant, and it is imperative she is treated that way.

Liz Whitmer

Bucknell '23

Liz, a Political Science major at Bucknell, is from Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania and began writing for Her Campus during the spring semester of 2020. In her free time she enjoys watching Seinfeld, online shopping, and arguing about politics.