This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Without a doubt, denim is a staple in every girl’s wardrobe. Jeans are super easy to style and can totally make or break an outfit. While a simple pair of jeans is a must-have, it is always fun to add trendier jeans to your collection with different washes and cuts. This year’s denim trends include fringes, embellishments, and dramatic flares. Bucknell University student Julia Chinman 19’ spotted the style trends and created a do-it-yourself denim line with a menu of refinements (fringing, distressing, embroidering, adding stars). Her Campus sat down with founder of JC Denim, Julia Chinman 19’, to learn more about the denim brand.

Her Campus: What inspired you to start customizing and designing jeans? – I spend a lot of time looking at magazines/websites containing celebrities and famous

designer showing off their jeans and wanted to re create them to make them affordable for college students or anyone that wants a pair. I also think about designs of jeans that I want and after spending a lot of time searching for them and not finding them I decided to try making them myself.

Her Campus: What custom designs do you offer? (i.e. fringe, stars, custom distressing) – At this point I have a few staple pairs I always offer, each pair includes a custom print,

hem, and distressing. The most popular prints are full stars in white, silver, or navy, stars along the hemline, and stars on the back pockets. The custom hems include extreme fringe and raw hem. I try not to limit my designs and always tell customers to share their ideal pair of jeans so that I can re create them, this makes each pair unique and allows people to finally be a part of their own design process.

Her Campus: Do you have any tips for how to pick a pair of flattering denim jeans? – If the customer is a friend or lives close by I always have them try them on before buying

so I can mark the proper inseam and guarantee they love the fit. If I have to mail out the jeans I have the customer send me the measurements (inseam, hips, and waist) of a

pair of jeans they currently own and love the fit of. The biggest tip I have is to always measure their own jeans and not their body because some people may like a tighter or looser fit which isn’t shown by the measurement of themselves but is shown in the jeans they wear everyday.

Her Campus: What’s your favorite way to style denim? Right now I am obsessed with cropped flare jeans with a raw hem and a rips, I love showing them off with a pair of platform sneakers, white tee and a leather jacket. Simple but shows off the staple of the good denim.

Her Campus: What’s your favorite denim style to rock? Favorite denim brands? – I love all styles of jeans and right now am really into vintage washes from Levi RE/DONE

and am a huge fan of Rag & Bone jeans they never get old.

Her Campus: Who would be your dream client for JC Denim? Kendall Jenner is GOALS she is such a fashionista and her go to outfits are always a great pair of jeans and white tee, you can tell she really values denim so if she were to wear them it would be so legit.

Shop JC Denim via DM at @jc.denim on Instagram!