A Dummy’s Guide to Football and Throwing the Best Super Bowl Watch Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Super Bowl Sunday is the highlight of the year for hard-core football fans, especially if their team is in the running. However, if you’re like me and football isn’t your thing, this day can be very confusing. Here is a dummy’s guide to football, Super Bowl LVII, and hosting a watch party! 

Quick Need to Know Facts:

When: Sunday, February 12, 2023

Time (kickoff): 6:30pm EST

Teams: Kansas City Chiefs vs. Philadelphia Eagles 

1. Choose a team to root for

If your team lost in the playoffs, root for the team that beat you. This might not seem fair at first but then if they win, at least your teams’ loss was justified. If you have no connection to any of the teams, I personally root for the team with the better looking uniforms. You could also root for the team’s city you think would be the most fun to visit or which quarterback you think is hotter. Or simply ask those around you who they’re rooting for and join in. Throw on a jersey if you have one!

1. How football works

Put simply, there are two sides of football that each team plays. Offense’s job is to score points which can be scored through a touchdown or field goal. Each touchdown is worth 6 points and each field goal is worth 3 points. Defense’s job is to stop the offense from scoring. They can 1) catch an interception which is when the other quarterback throws the ball and they catch it instead, 2) cause the other team to fumble which is when a player who is carrying the ball lets go of it during the play, and 3) tackle by stopping the team from getting the first down.

1. Festive environment 

What’s a party without themed decorations? Amazon is always a good option for themed decorations, but you can also check out your local grocery store, dollar store, or Party City. Some suggestions include: football field plastic table cloth, football themed plates, cups, and napkins, football themed triangle flags, streamers, and can’t forget your personal team’s colors. 

1. Food and drinks are a must

The food selection is arguably the most important aspect of a Super Bowl watch party. Of course you need the classics: pizza and wings but we’re also talking chips and salsa, veggie trays, desserts, and a charcuterie board if you want to get all fancy. Extra bonus points if they’re football themed or shaped. As with any party, what is most important is your guests so make sure everyone is accommodated. 

When it comes to drinks, whether you are celebrating with alcoholic or nonalcoholic beverages, make sure you have enough! You can never go wrong with sodas, juice, beer, alcoholic or non-alcoholic cocktails, and of course water. 

1. Drinking games

If you want to make it really fun, make a drinking game out of it. Drink every time any team scores, every time the people around you cheer, every time the ball is dropped, or every time something happens (a free kick, a penalty flag, field goal, sack, etc.)

1. Rate the commercials 

While Super Bowl commercials are arguably better than regular commercials, to keep the fun going, rating each commercial as you wait for the game to come back on will help pass the time. 

Gracie is currently a senior at Bucknell University expecting to graduate this upcoming spring. On campus she is a part of a wide variety of clubs and organizations.