5 Things You Should Know about the Commons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

There’s something miraculous about the new South Campus Commons: it’s quiet. Not a bad quiet, almost a tranquil “am I still at Bucknell?” sense of calm. Though construction adds to the daily campus commotion, you would never know so much is happening at Bucknell while being at the Commons. As you walk toward the pristine facilities, you’re more likely to encounter a swarm of bees than one of students. Perhaps the Commons location, past Academic West and across South Campus Drive, makes this new area seem out of the way to some. But, trust me, the Commons is worth the walk and should be explored! If you’re not already a believer, here are the 5 things you should know:                                  

1. There’s Great Outdoor Seating 

Whether you’re looking for a place to study, a place to eat, or a place to gossip about last night’s shenanigans, the outdoor Commons space, directly outside of the Commons Café, is the place for you. With picnic tables, umbrellas, an amphitheater, and blue and orange Adirondack chairs, this area is a great place to hang out while it’s still warm outside.

2. The Commons Café is the Chill Place for Lunch  

Stressed by the twelve o’clock rush at the Bison, Terrace Room and/or Bostwick? Looking to change up your usual lunch order for something a little more special? Ditch the lines and noise and head over to the Commons Café. The atmosphere is calm, there is an ample amount of seating, and the menu, while not as diverse as that of the Bison or Bostwick, is sure to accommodate the pickiest of eaters. I recommend trying the Basil Mozzarella flatbread or the popular Tuscan Pesto Turkey Panini. Just take note that the Café isn’t open on weekends, so check it out sometime Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m.

3. Find Fresh Fruit and Vegetables NOT already in a cup!?

While all the dining facilities on Bucknell’s campus offer students fresh, healthy options to choose from, the selection at the Commons Café is not like the rest. Though you can still find cups of grapes, cantaloupe, and carrot sticks, you can also buy lemons, limes, kale, broccoli, berries, and more. This produce is priced slightly higher than that from Giant or Weis, but once you factor in the time it takes you to drive off campus and the cost of gas needed to get you to the supermarket, the Café’s offerings are worth the time and money.

4. Media Room and Chill?  

Six reclining lounge chairs and a big, new, flat-screen TV…need I say more? The media space in the Commons is the cozy kind of small, so plan to get snuggly with a group of friends for movie night.

5. Places to Get the Job Done  

It can’t be all fun and games, kids – we are still at a university, after all. Fortunately, the Commons has awesome study places for you or your group to work in. Whether meeting in the conference room or working privately in the office, there is space designed for your productivity. Need to print something quickly before class? The Commons printer has you covered.

So, what are you waiting for? Go explore the newest addition to the Bucknell campus; it has so much to offer!

A 20-something year-old New Yorker who loves food, travel, fashion and fitness.