5 Spoken Word Poetry Performances Every Colliegette Should See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

While the authentic words of William Shakespeare and Emily Dickinson may seem outdated to today’s generation, spoken word poetry videos give poetry the face-lift it needs. Reflecting on the issues of modern society, spoken word poetry is written on paper but performed in front of an audience. With this aspect of performance, comes each poet’s creative flair, commanding hand gestures and breathy pauses to give meaning to these carefully crafted words. Popping up across the country are groups of young men and women coming together to engage audiences in these powerful poetic performances at poetry conventions and competitions across the nation.

Without further ado, join Her Campus Bucknell as we watch five powerful spoken word poetry performances for today’s generation.

• The Black Bruins By: Sy StokesSy Stokes, a senior at UCLA majoring in African-American studies, peels away the layers of oppression felt by minorities on this University of California campus. Hitting audiences with line after line of powerful messages, Stokes addresses the lack of diversity among UCLA’s undergraduate population. Calling for racial reform, Stokes and his fellow black peers hope that one day they can be proud to call themselves “bruins”.
  • Dead Men Can’t Catcall By: Samantha PetersonSamantha Peterson, a recent college graduate, delivers a passionate and inspiring new outlook on body image. When a man shouted at Peterson from a car one afternoon: “I like a big girl in bed baby, more room to paint on,” she walked away and said nothing. At the 2014 College Unions Poetry Slam Invitational, Samantha’s silence is broken, as she demands that her “body is good like a body” and not a dehumanizing metaphor.
  • Somewhere in America By: Belissa Escoloedo, Zariya Allen and Rhiannon McGavinWhen Belissa Escoloedo, Zariya Allen and Rhiannon McGavin take to the stage, their voices fervently discuss the political and social issues of our nation. Between anecdotes that prominently feature students and experiences at school, these three young women shed light on the problems facing American society.
  • Monsters By: Hannah Halpern, Amina Iro, Reina Privado and Asha GardnerUtilizing humor and some pretty creative costume ideas, Hannah Halpern, Amina Iro, Reina Privado and Asha Gardner break down female stereotypes. Expressing that “Halloween has become a different kind of freak show” these four female members of the DC Youth Slam Team, decide to break the mold of skimpy, sexy Halloween costumes and dress up as monsters come this October. These powerful voices put an end to Halloween being a time that intensifies the social norms of objectifying women.  
  • When Love Arrives By: Sarah Kay and Phil KayeEveryone has his or her own perceptions about what love is and should be like. But when love comes knocking on your door, it doesn’t always match those preconceived expectations. Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye of Project V.O.I.C.E. describe what can happen when love decides to pay a visit. 
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com