5 Movies To Beat the Post-Spring Break Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Battling post-spring break depression? Well then, Her Campus Bucknell has your back! Whether you jetted off to a tropical island with 50 of your closest friends, visited your grandparents retirement resort in Florida or slept all day to recover from midterms week, we all wish spring break lasted just a little bit longer. To combat this post-spring break blues, curl up in bed this weekend and relax like you’re still on vacation with some of Her Campus Bucknell’s top movie picks.

Dramatic Comedy: “Did You Hear About the Morgans?”

One evening, Meryl and Paul Morgan find themselves at the scene of a crime as they witness a murder on the balcony of a New York City apartment. Already in state of shock and disbelief surrounding her husband’s recent infidelities, a shaken Meryl looks up to lock eyes with the murderer. In order to protect the Morgan’s against the killer still on the loose, the FBI sends the recently separated couple to a witness protection program in the tiny town of Ray, Wyoming. The adventures Meryl and Paul Morgan get into on their journey through the Wild West are sure to make you smile—even if you’re battling the aftermath of a peeling, itchy sun burn.

Chick Flick: “Clueless”

With a computerized closet, white Jeep and lavish mansion, Cher Horowitz seems to fit the mold of a typical, wealthy teen residing in Beverly Hills. However, as this classic 90’s chick flick progresses, we see Cher’s charm and loyalty to her friends preside over her superficial exterior. Grab some popcorn, a few friends you want to catch up with before the end of the semester, and watch as Cher and her quirky group of friends battle the ups and downs of high school life.

Academy Award Winner: “Birdman”

Winning best picture at the 2014 Academy Awards, “Birdman” is sure to motivate those of us who didn’t do as well as we wanted to during the first half of this semester. Starring the talented Michael Keaton as Riggan, watch as this once iconic superhero chases his acting dream again, despite the scrutiny of his family and many others. This Academy Award winner is an inspirational film that will be sure to motivate you to keep up with your schoolwork this semester.  

Oldie: “Some Like It Hot”

When Joe and Jerry, two musicians from Chicago, narrowly escape a violent gang shoot out, the two have to find a way out of town. However, their only way out is to join an all-girl band on their tour in Florida. Boarding the train dressed as women, Josephine (Joe) and Daphne (Jerry) think they have found their ticket out of town, especially when they befriend a glamorous band member by the name of Sugar, played about Marilyn Monroe. Joe and Jerry—or should I say Josephine and Daphne—will go to great lengths to make you howl with laughter while hiding their true identities throughout this classic, 1960’s film. 

Childhood Classic- “The Parent Trap”

Reliving our childhood summer camp days, identical twins Hallie and Annie Parker find each other at camp one summer after being separated at birth. Determined to bring their divorced parents back together, Hallie and Annie, both played by Lindsay Lohan (in her better days), switch places after camp. At some point, the twins’ parents will have to switch them back, so snuggle up in your bed with the sheets and blanket you’ve finally remembered to wash and watch as Hallie and Annie work together to bring their bi-coastal, dysfunctional family back together.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com