Back To School Fashion Hub R1 Hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Back To School Fashion Hub R1 Hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Style

5 Fashion Trends to Follow in 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Let’s be honest, 2020 did us all dirty. So understandably, 2021 has some high expectations to meet. We want more environmental action, better healthcare, and the opportunity to finally wear all those outfits we bought last year. Whether your outfit inspiration comes from Vogue or Tiktok, here are some trends you can look forward to wearing in 2021.

1. Are You Y2Kidding Me

Only a few years ago, we looked back at red carpet photos of Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie, saying “never again.” Though I’m still hoping we leave Ashley Tisdale’s dress-over-jeans look in the past, 2000s era or “Y2K” fashion is making an unprecedented comeback. Trends like shoulder bags, track suits, and cardigans are lining the shelves. Depop sellers are making a fortune off of OG brands like Ed Hardy, Juicy Couture, Von Dutch, and Harley Davidson. If you’re looking to hop on this wave, look no further than classic rom-coms like Clueless and Mean Girls for some outfit inspo. 

1. Bye Bye Skinny Jeans 

Breaking news! Skinny jeans are dead. Should we really be mad about losing those tight pants that cut off our circulation? Or should we finally buy jeans that fit? Although your feed may be overloaded right now with straight leg Levi’s, this is your opportunity to try out all the styles you’ve been dreaming of. Try rocking some dramatic bell bottoms, thrifted boyfriend jeans, or bring back low-waisted styles with your favorite retro baby tee.

1. Lace it Up

Corset tops have been following me everywhere. It seems like every time I open Instagram, one of the Kardashian-Jenner crew is running errands in a beautifully structured Vivienne Westwood top. Is this look just for the rich and famous? Does my love of this historical fashion trend contradict my feminist beliefs? The answers are no and no. Tiktokers are showing that even $20 Amazon corsets can be dolled up with fishnet tops and high waisted jeans. Sustainable sellers are reconstructing corset tops out of t-shirts, Nike socks, and even tapestry blankets! These trendy girls show that we can take the power of the corset back. We don’t need to strive for a man’s idea of perfection. We can embrace beauty and femininity for every style and body shape.

1. Sk8er Boi

Conversations about eco-conscious fashion are getting louder, so it’s about time that the trends start reflecting it. Maybe the trendiest clothes we can buy are the ones closest to home. Celebrities and social media influencers alike have been showing off their thrifted fits, bringing new life to some cult grunge classics. Why not give it a shot? Check out your nearest thrift store, secondhand shop, or even sites like Depop and Mercari, to find new closet staples. Expect to see tons of cozy flannels, beat up Vans, and 80s windbreakers. Did those ever actually go out of style?

1. Hopeless Romantic

The television show Bridgerton took ladies across the country by storm, and for good reason. The only thing as dreamy as Regé-Jean Page was that menagerie of stunning dresses. It was like The Bachelor, but with more tea and social etiquette. We may not be able to blast ourselves back to the Regency, but we can achieve our own Jane Austen vibes in 2021. Expect to see lots of empire-waist dresses, delicate floral embroideries, and romantic puffed sleeves. Fendi, Dior, and Chanel have already debuted Spring 2021 couture collections fit for Daphne Bridgerton and Lady Danbury.

Susie Williams

Bucknell '23

Susie is a junior at Bucknell, majoring in Literary Studies and Russian. She believes in living fearlessly; well, almost fearlessly. Ceiling tiles and basketballs make her nervous. Susie plans to pursue a career in International Law.
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell