5 DIY Costumes That Won’t Cost an Arm & a Leg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

In college, everyone deals with the persistent struggle of looking good while keeping in mind the piling costs that students assume. In this way, Halloween can be a “trick” and a “treat.” Worry not – you don’t have to sell your soul to have a cute and unique Halloween costume this year. These 5 costumes are “wicked” cute, but won’t cost you an arm and a leg. Plus, you can re-wear the individual pieces!

1. Peyton Sawyer from One Tree Hill

Peyton is the essence of natural beauty on the show. Her signature plain tees and tanks provide a blank slate for her natural beauty and “killer” eyes to shine through (pictured, red tank, $14, available at Brandy Melville). Keep the make-up simple to mimic this punk princess. Curl your hair with either a 5/8” or a 3/4″ barrel. Line your lips with a 90s-inspired tint of lip liner (pictured, Make Up For Ever deep brown Aqua Lip Waterproof Lipliner Pencil, $23, available at Sephora). Embody the dark, twisted, misunderstood aura characteristic of any 90s teen, and you’ll have a costume that will scare any parent to death.

2. Cher from Clueless

Cher represents the apex of 90s fashion. Classy red strap pumps (pictured, $34, available at Lulu’s; $17, available at Lulu’s) and a simple, sexy mini dress (pictured, $17, available at misguided) are simple and stylish. Plus, who doesn’t love a fun, showgirl-esque white boa (pictured, $5.15, available on Amazon)? Add a blowout and a pouty red lip to capture the full look.

3. Garth and Wayne from Wayne’s World

This fun, early-90s inspired costume is a great option for one or two people. Both costumes are comfortable, functional, and can be altered in a cute and modern way from the wardrobe and grungy appearance of the original characters. To channel Garth, accessorize with a pair of thick-framed black glasses ($14, available at Urban Outfitters). If you want to keep the integrity of his outfit, this plaid shirt from Forever 21 ($24.90) is a great option. If you opt for something a little trendier, try a blue plaid dress shirt instead (pictured, $34.90, available at Forever 21). To finish off the look, any graphic tee will do the trick, like this “Ok Thanks” crop top from Misguided (pictured, $12.90). Tease your hair if you really want to get into character. Wayne’s look is also easy to achieve. Straighten your hair and limit your amount of makeup. As for clothing, either a black crop top (pictured, $10.90, available at Forever 21) or a black shirt (pictured, $10.90, available at Forever 21) will be cute and functional. Most importantly, don’t forget Wayne’s lid (pictured, $9.50, available at Etsy).

4. Brooke Davis from One Tree Hill

Since Peyton and Brooke are inseparable, here is a fun and unique two-person costume idea. Brooke, although a fashion icon on the show, keeps her look simple to highlight the flaws others see in her. Flat iron your hair and put on one of these white tanks, and you’re on your way to being B. Davis herself (pictured, $26, available at Tobi; $20, available at Tobi). Use black eyeliner to write the various words projected onto her figure.

5. Mary from Something About Mary

This costume is simple, easy, and the least costly of the 5 ideas. However, it is also the scariest option. Although Mary acquires her look through…other means, you can obtain her hairstyle by applying hair gel from your local pharmacy and a combing upward. For girls who hate wearing pants, this red dress from Misguided Clothing ($13.60) is the perfect option. For those of us who opt for a shirt and pants combo, this red top from Tobi ($10) is a cute, simple, and cost-efficient alternative.

Writer for Her Campus Bucknell.