This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Each new year brings with it the anticipation of what those four numbers will hold. 2013 promises new movies, budding actors and actresses, cool food trends, fads and fashion. So here is your guide from A to Z on what to look forward to in 2013. 

Anne Hathaway

She’s come a long way from her Princess Diaries days. Besides being nominated for an Oscar for her stunning performance in Les Misérables, Hathaway proved she was funny (with a stint on SNL) and sexy (with multiple magazine covers), as well. It seems she’s untouchable at the moment, and 2013 is sure to bring us lots to talk about from our favorite princess.

Runner Up: Amanda Seyfried

Remember when Amanda Seyfried was in “Mean Girls?” She, too, has come far since her weather-boob predicting days. With a role in Les Misérables and a whopping five movies set to come out in 2013, Seyfried is making her way in Hollywood without falling into the young celebrity party trap.

Brussel Sprouts

Remember those days you used to push those green balls off your plate? Not anymore.  Low in calories and fat, yet high in fiber, brussel sprouts have made a chic comeback. Filled with vitamins C and K, this veggie is nutritious and delicious! Try it roasted in a maple glaze or boiled in a balsamic dressing.

Chasing the Saturdays

The Saturdays are an English-Irish girl group who have found great success in the U.K. With hits like “If this is Love” and “What About Us,” a clothing, jewelry and nail polish line and some great group dynamics, this band is heading to the States to try their luck with an American audience. Catch Chasing the Saturdays on E! soon.

Runner Up: Chia Seeds

No longer a 90’s substitute for a real pet, chia seeds can now be found in fruit juices, baked in cookies or sprinkled on yogurt. They’re rich in omega-3 and have lots of antioxidants, protein and fiber. Who knew? 

Despicable Me 2

“It’s so fluffy I’m gunna die!” Agnes, Gru, Margo and the whole gang are back—in 3D. This is bound to be an eternally quotable, hysterical, awesome time. 

Emotion Recognition

A new computer program can read human expressions for marketing purposes. Knowing what makes you smile helps to shape companies products and the way they advertise them to you. Pretty sure we think this is more creepy than cool. 

[pagebreak]

Fusion Fitness Classes

From piloxing to aerial yoga, zumba water aerobics to spinning dance classes, 2013 is fusing fitness classes to make a more challenging and more exciting workout.

Graphics

Graphics were all over the runway this season from monochrome stripes at Marc Jacobs to plaid at Armani and checkerboard at Louis Vuitton. Try this trend paired with a basic color for a bold yet classy look.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire

The second movie in the “Hunger Games” trilogy is set to hit theaters in November. With the hottest actress at the moment, Jennifer Lawrence, as the star. May the odds be ever in your favor. 

Imperfections

Embrace them. The gap tooth, wrinkles, freckles and moles were embraced on the runways from France to Milan. Stop trying to cover them up and start showcasing them!

Jobs

This one is more hopeful than certain. With our education system failing, the job market looking, well, awful, and more and more jobs being shipped overseas, we hope to see change in 2013. Some swift moves by the Obama administration and local and state governments will need to occur before this can come to fruition. 

[pagebreak]

Kale

Kale has hit grocery stores, markets and restaurants in a major way. High in beta carotene, vitamin K and C, lutein and rich in calcium, kale is the newest super vegetable. Try it sautéed with garlic, braised with bacon and cider or with some farfalle and sausage.

Runner Up: Kombucha

Kombucha is a fermentation of sweetened tea. In other words, it’s a colony of bacteria and yeast. Hoards of stars drink it to “detoxify the body and energize the mind.” We, here at HC, still don’t get it.

Liam Hemsworth

Let’s state the obvious. Engaged to Miley “Pixie Cut” Cyrus. Star of the “Hunger Games.” Insanely hot. Thor’s baby brother. But now, let’s examine the not so obvious. Hemsworth is coming out with at least three new movies this year, Love and Honor, Timeless, and Empire State proving his acting chops.

Maddow (Rachel)

Rachel Maddow is the host of The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC, the first openly gay anchor in the U.S. and a self-proclaimed liberal in a sea of conservatives. Smart, honest and fascinating, Maddow is paving the way for a different kind of role model for women, and we love it! 

Nighttime Braids

Braids aren’t just for day anymore. Elegant braiding can carry you through the night whether at a bar or a black tie event. Try a “chicken braid” or side braids into a half twist for a nighttime look.

[pagebreak]

Olly Murs

This runner-up from the X-Factor is becoming a winner in his own right. With his catchy single “Troublemaker” and a spot as the opening act for the One Direction tour, Murs soulful, yet pop-focused, music is sure to explode in the coming year. 

Pho

Pho is a Vietnamese dish that consists of broth, noodles, herbs and meat. This meal in a bowl has become increasingly popular due to an influx of Vietnamese immigrants. Find it at Trader Joe’s.

Runner Up: Popcorn

Popcorn has become hot again. Flavored with barbecue, truffle salt or sour cream, whatever way you eat it, it’s a low cal treat that makes a wonderful snack.

Quvenzhane Wallis

This nine-year-old girl is the youngest actress ever nominate for an Oscar. At six-years-old she starred in Beasts of the Southern Wild and has a slew of movies coming out in the next few years. Expect big things from this little one.

Royal baby

Kate Middleton and Prince William will welcome a mudblood to their royal line. Can’t wait to see what this child looks like with such attractive parents.

[pagebreak]

S&M

Thank 50 Shades of Grey for the continuation of this trend. Making appearances everywhere from music to awards shows to the runway, it looks like S&M is here to stay for awhile. 

Two Tone French Manicure

Spice up your typical French manicure with fun new color combos.

Unexpected beauty

Stella McCartney, Burberry and Chloe, usually famous for minimalistic runway looks came out with unexpected makeup and hair. Red lips, bright eyeliner, jeweled eyes and chalked hair show that 2013 is all about having fun with your beauty routine and doing something unexpected. 

Vertical Farming

This form of farming cultivates plant life within skyscrapers or on vertically inclined surfaces. Artificial light helps it to grow and creates a very cool green space amid bustling cities. 

[pagebreak]

Wilson (Rebel)

She rocked in “Bridesmaids.” She killed it in “Pitch Perfect.” She’s got a bunch of movies set to come out in the next year. Rebel Wilson is redefining Hollywood glamor, the funny girl persona and becoming a starlet in her own right. Can’t wait to see what she’s got in store for us in 2013.

X-Ray Fabrics

Think sheer, sheer, sheer. Giambattista Valli, among other designers showcased sheer, sultry and sexy looks for, now here’s the catch, fall and winter. Try it with a lace cami if you’re a sheer first-timer.

You

2013 is all about you! With more focus than ever on healthy eating, fitness and work-life balance, this is the year to make you your biggest priority. 

Zoology

Animal prints are back! Think safari prints, but limit it to one item and keep the rest of your outfit basic to not overdo it.

There you have it! 2013 from A to Z. We hope it’s a great year for you! 

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!