Your Essential Guide for Making Time to Read for Pleasure in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With the endless amount of assigned reading for each class, setting aside time to read for pleasure in college sometimes sounds downright impossible. After spending so much time doing all of the assigned readings, it feels great to just turn off your brain for a bit and mindlessly binge-watch YouTube videos or shows on Netflix and Hulu.

But after spending so much time in front of a screen watching videos or shows, you need some kind of mental stimulation — but not from reading textbooks — the kind you could only get from good old-fashioned reading. You know, reading for pleasure? Unheard of.

For me, at least, I have not read nearly as much as I used to since I’ve been in college. I keep on making excuses about not having enough time, but I simply haven’t been making it a priority. In college — and in life in general — if you really want to do something, you will specifically set aside time for it and make it a priority. Keep reading for tips on how to find time to read for pleasure in college.

Swap your phone for a book.

In case you aren’t already aware of how much time you spend on your phone, take a look into the screen time feature on your iPhone. Instead of mindlessly scrolling through social media during your commute to class or in the Starbucks line, swap your phone for a book. Try to always carry a book with you during those instances where you just have time to kill.

Read before bed.

Instead of watching “only one episode” of your current show before bed, start incorporating reading into your night routine. Reading before bed is a great way to unwind and to take your mind off of things. You’re actually supposed to stop using your phone — or any other screens — one or two hours before bed, so reading is a great alternative to using your phone before bed.

Join Goodreads.

Goodreads is an app (also a website) that’s all about — you guessed it — books. It’s a great way to keep track of all the books you’ve read, the books you’re currently reading, and the endless amount of books on your to-read list. You could also leave ratings and reviews for books. One of my favorite things about Goodreads is reading the reviews for books on my to-read list. There is also a feature on the app where you could give yourself a reading goal for the year, where you could set a goal of how many books you plan to read for the year. It just makes you want to fall back in love with reading for pleasure.

Join a book club.

Joining a book club is a great way to hold yourself accountable. Most colleges should have some kind of book club; if that isn’t the case, check your local library. You could make your own “book club” with a group of your friends, whatever helps you find a way to incorporate reading back into your lifestyle.

If you really want to get into the habit of reading again, you will find the time. Use these tips if you want to make time for reading for pleasure in college!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Clarissa is a senior majoring in Journalism at Boston University's College of Communication. Besides writing, Clarissa loves Srabble, astrology, and satire. ?
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.