You Should Watch This: Nuts and Bolts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Nuts and Bolts on Viceland makes it crystal clear that it’s Tyler the Creator’s world, and we’re all living in it. This show will make you want to DIY your own breakfast sushi and customize a pair of Converse.

Viceland has been known to produce edgy, nuanced shows touching on topics like drugs, the tech world, and politics. It is a network geared toward the poster millennial/liberal/hipster child, so it is only natural that they would finally collaborate with the oddest of the odd. Nuts and Bolts with Tyler the Creator strays from the “wokeness” of Viceland while showing the alternative rapper’s surprisingly wholesome side and giving us a look into his beautifully strange mind.

The series premiered in the beginning in August, and this season is only limited to six amazing episodes, which gives it a binge and rewatch-worthy stamp of approval by yours truly. Nuts and Bolts is simply dedicated to Tyler learning how all good things in this world work and reinventing them to fit the misfit, flower boy aesthetic he wears with pride. Episodes have been centered around almost everything, from furniture to stop-motion cartoons. The show also features his best friend Jasper (who is down for anything Tyler throws his way), making me extremely jealous of their young, wild, and free friendship.

Tyler also makes new friends while learning the nuts and bolts (pun intended) of his favorite things. He’s had fun with Converse making his own shoe line, with Bill Nye the Science Guy learning how floating works, with Tesla creating an environment-friendly go-kart, and with many other innovators all within the first season. During each visit with famous companies and innovators, Tyler forces his new buddies to see the world differently as they help make his imaginations a reality.

The best part of Nuts and Bolts is seeing how Tyler interacts with everyone he meets, creating instant connections with Neil Degrasse Tyson and Dominique Ansel, just to name a few on his eclectic, expanding list of cool besties. Whether he’s known someone for years or is meeting them for the first time on camera, he radiates positivity and makes everyone (viewers and featured guests alike) crave more adventure. His creativity is contagious and is definitely the pick-me-up needed after school, work, or anything else weighing you down.

If you love light-hearted adventures and the king of Odd Future, then I highly recommend Nuts and Bolts, and I hope it leaves you as happy and inspired as it has left me! You can watch episodes on viceland.com and on the TV channel Viceland.

Noelle Monge is currently a senior in CAS, studying English. She loves earl grey-flavored treats and things that taste like fall, Broad City (#yas), and millennial pink anything. She's a Guam girl living in the always busy, eternally beautiful city of Boston. Hafa Adai all day!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.