Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Wild Tales of My Weird Dating Experiences

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Dating. Where do I even start? It is one of the most unpredictable and annoying things we deal with as college students. I entered the college dating scene for the first time in my life this year, and it has lent me some bizarre experiences. So, please enjoy these humorous tales of my bad dates, because it is important to look on the lighter side of these complicated moments. 

Going on dates is like navigating a field of landmines, or playing Russian roulette––you really never know what you are going to get. That is what made me incredibly nervous about going into this school year as a newly single person. My friends encouraged me to just go with the flow and see what happens, so I decided to go on a couple of dates and do just that.

The first date was maybe the worst time I have ever had interacting with another human being. He started the date by asking me if I would take a job working for a horrible person or company if they paid me a lot of money. When I said that I would not, he seemed genuinely confused. From there, he decided to start talking about his major.

When I asked him a question about the engineering concept he brought up, he told me, “It’s really complicated…you wouldn’t understand.” I stopped short, my face crinkled up into a baffled expression, and responded with, “Excuse me?” The best part is that when I asked him to try and explain it anyway, he was at a loss for words. He did not understand it himself but had decided to act as though it was me who would not understand. 

The rest of the night continued with that same theme. He asked me why I gave money to a man riding a stationary bike for a cancer charity. Shortly after, he literally admitted to being a narcissist. He also lied about having an uncle who passed away, and when I said I was sorry, he said, “Wow, you really believed me?” and told me to operate on the assumption that he is always lying. Needless to say, there was no second date. 

The next date was nowhere near as ridiculous as the first, but it was still incredibly awkward. The boy and I had almost nothing in common, and as a result, had almost nothing to talk about. I honestly have no idea how we made small talk last for two whole hours.

He had no interest in getting involved in extracurriculars, so I had no idea what his hobbies or interests were. In fact, he told me that he does not really have any. I felt like I was bragging when I explained the clubs and organizations I spend my free time taking part in, and he had nothing to add.

Another strange aspect of this date was when he discussed his relationships with friends and family. He told me that he periodically ghosts his friends and family for months at a time, which I found to be a little strange. I understand needing to take breaks from people, but that seemed a bit extreme and came across as a red flag. 

Dating can give you some interesting stories to tell, or it can give you a wonderful person to spend your days with. Either way, I hope you found these tales of my dating woes entertaining because I definitely do. Try not to take yourself or bad dates too seriously. We are all in this together!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Keeley Bombard is a sophomore at Boston University studying Environmental Analysis and Policy. Although she was born in Boston, she grew up in Rochester Hills, Michigan. She loves dancing, reading, writing, listening to music, watching movies, and being around her friends. She loves to connect with people over topics she is passionate about through writing!