Why You Should Start Writing Love Letters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Writing letters is becoming a lost art form. We once lived in the days we would mail out thank you cards after a birthday party, write a letter of appreciation to the best friend you saw every day, and a note here and there to that boy we had a crush on. The beauty of taking the time to personally address someone special does not compare to a short- handed text message. Not only do you make the recipient feel good, there is even scientific evidence behind health benefits of writing love letters.   

Doing good deeds for others stimulates a domino affect of action inside of our bodies. A simple act of kindness is shown to reduce anxiety, improve relationships, and lower stress hormones. 

Acts of kindness require social contact. Social contact provides pleasure, pleasure stimulates personal growth and motivational behavior.  

The feelings of personal growth and motivation are triggered from the activation of the limbic system, which gets endorphins, dopamine, and oxytocin flowing through your body. All are important feel- good neurotransmitters.  

Now let’s talk about love. Love boosts our immune system. Without social support, our bodies can physically become sick and our mental state goes into a downward spiral.  

So what seems like a completely selfless act of kindness is secretly an exercise for your own mental well-being. Of course don’t let that undermine the fact that telling someone their importance to you through a more unexpected act today, makes that person feel loved, appreciated, and more connected to you. Start the trend, and maybe people will pick up on the good feelings associated with letters and continue it on!

Alana is a junior studying Psychology at Boston University. While a born and bred New Englander hopelessly in love with the city of Boston, she derives much enjoyment out of planning trips to faraway places. She enjoys meeting new people, stealing Crossfit workouts off of 'box' websites, practicing yoga, and watching Grey's Anatomy. Her life-long goals include advocating for women's empowerment and promoting overall well-being.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.