body images 2019 10 13 fishpng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 10 13 fishpng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Keep Fish as Pets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Becoming a fish-mom was something I could never have imagined myself doing a year ago. I guess quarantine changed everyone in many ways. Last year around June was when I decided to ask my parents one last time to let me adopt a puppy, even though the past 14 years of pleading had not worked. As usual, I was told a definitive ‘no’ and I was given a lecture about the responsibility of having a pet in the home. When I asked them if they would allow me to have any pet, my father jokingly said that an aquarium would be a great addition to my room. Although not convinced, I made the impulsive decision to get four fish, and I have not regretted it since. Here’s 3 reasons why fish are the perfect pet for a college student!

Fish are Low-Maintenance

Like all pets, fish, along with their environments, need to be well taken care of. It is important to feed them at regular schedules, clean the aquarium water, and make sure they are calm and comfortable in their home. However, compared to other pets, fish do not need to be attended to constantly as their needs are more physiological than mental and emotional. While a dog or cat may need to be entertained by you and play all day, fish only need to be fed, and can amuse themselves with fun aquarium decorations. This is convenient for people who have a packed schedule and struggle with time management, but still want a pet in their homes.

They are Easy on Your Wallet

The most important part of being in college is learning to live on a budget. If you’re not willing to spend a lot on trips to the vet, vaccinations, toys, beds, and so many other things, fish would be the perfect pets for you. Good aquariums are inexpensive investments, and can last very long with proper upkeep. Purchasing decorations and plants for your aquarium will not make a huge dent in your pocket either. You can have the experience of taking care of a pet, while sticking to your budget. As long as you ensure a clean environment for your fish, they will most likely stay healthy.

A Whole Lotta’ Good Vibes

Another well-known perk to having an aquarium in your room or apartment is that fish have a relaxing effect on the atmosphere. I know that for me, cleaning my aquarium and feeding my fish is a great way to de-stress. For most stressed college students, having fish in their homes would be great for this very reason. Watching your pet silently glide through the water and play among the colorful plants is a very calming sensation. Decorating your aquarium with adorable ships and homes for the fish can also allow them to be aesthetic additions in your space. After all, what is better than coming back from a long day of classes and work to a home that radiates positivity and tranquility!

Although I am juggling college classes, assignments, and exams, I can always find time to take care of my fish properly. If you’re looking for a sign to get a pet or even a new hobby, I would recommend becoming a fish-parent!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Saumya is a freshman studying Psychology at Boston University. Some of her hobbies are painting, drinking way too much bubble tea, and reading! Find her on Instagram @saumya.maitra
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.