This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The decision to join Greek life can influence your college experience greatly. Many people in sororities would tell you that the experiences they’ve had with their organization are irreplaceable and they’ve made life-long connections and memories. While this may be true, Greek life may not be for everyone. There are many reasons why someone may not want to join a sorority. Here, I have a compiled a list of 5 major reasons Greek life may not be the life for you to save you the agrevation of going through recruitment: 

1. Greek life can be costly.

Sororities are expensive and joining one may not be worth it once you consider the costs. While the semesterly fees vary by organization, the average new sorority member can pay up to $1500 a semester. For some, that may be a huge financial burden, especially on top of paying tuition, room and board, and other college expenses. And it’s not just the dues — it’s chapter fees, initiation fees, and other hidden fees that you may not even be aware of until you’re a pledge.

2. You already have a lot on your plate.

As a college student, you’re probably already pretty busy with classes, homework, looking for internships, and clubs. Now, imagine having to attend mandatory weekly chapter meetings, weekend retreats, philanthropic events, and other things that your sorority has planned. If you already seem like you’re too busy with school, work, and other activities, joining a sorority may be more than you can handle. And sure, sororities claim their events are optional, but according to the New York Times, very often sisters feel obligated to attend all events or have a fear of being treated with disapproval from other members if they chose to opt out of an event. In fact, many girls drop their sorority because the time commitment becomes too much to handle.

3. The rush process is exhausting.

Some may say the three or four full days of being on your feet, socializing, and surviving on seven cups of coffee each day is worth the potential years of sisterhood to come. However, the process is long and time-consuming and can go from 8AM to 10PM for an entire weekend. You’re also expected to be on you’re A-game, trying to make a good impression on the sisters, which can be extremely mentally-exhausting. Then, after all of that, there is a chance that you may not even get a bid to join the sorority that you wanted.

4. You’re introverted, and like it that way.

It’s true what they say, joining a sorority can greatly expand your social circle. This could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your personality. If you’re someone who values your alone time and needs space to recharge, being in a sorority may be exhausting. New members are expected to be constantly socializing and getting to know the sisters, which can mean that you will be constantly talking to and interacting with other people, leaving no time for yourself. Eventually, this can become very draining for those who tend to be more introverted.

5. Sororities may perpetuate gender roles and double standards.

Sororities and fraternities must adhere to different rules. For example, alcohol is banned in sorority houses, yet frat houses are notorious for throwing parties where drinks are given out freely. Because of this arrangement, sororities are dependent on fraternities for parties if they wish to serve alcohol, which puts the men in charge of these situations. Girls who wish to participate in Greek life are also held to standards that men are not — they cannot be photographed drinking when wearing their letters, are forbidden from speaking about boys, partying, or drinking during the rush process and must upkeep an impossibly high beauty standard. On the other hand, boys may drink as much as they like and can be made to feel entitled to the girls who take advantage of their real estate for partying and booze. This perpetuates a danger and sexist culture, which can promote a misogynistic and backwards way of thinking.

Sororities require a lot of time, money, and commitment. While some people may not trade their sisters for the world, others may find that Greek life is not something they see themselves doing. Whether you decide going Greek is right for you or not, there are a ton of ways to make your college experience fun and adventuous! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Leanna, originally from New York City, is a student at Boston University.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.