body images 2019 10 12 rep20room20image2028129png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 10 12 rep20room20image2028129png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Living Alone is a Blessing in Disguise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Living alone isn’t a luxury every college student is afforded, especially if you’re an underclassman. Unless you’re willing to shell out an extra couple thousand bucks for a single room, chances are you’ll only get the opportunity to be on your own if you get an apartment off-campus. Or, if you’re lucky like me, your dreadful roommate will move out and you’ll be left with a big room to yourself at no further cost! Though it isn’t a necessity, living alone in college can be good practice for when we all go out into the Real World and have to do Adult things on our own. However, it is a hard thing to get adjusted to, so here are some reasons why living alone is actually a blessing in disguise!

It’s an opportunity to get to know yourself

Many people, myself included, aren’t really okay with being alone, or at least have never gotten the chance to try it. You go from living with your family at home to living with a roommate in college or sharing a suite with others. Yes, you have more freedom in college and more space to do things on your own, but you’re still sharing a space with other people, just as you did at home. Living alone gives you the chance to truly be alone and truly face who you are when no one else is around. You get to get to know yourself, for better or for worse, and grow from there.

You don’t have to accommodate anyone else

I’m sure at this point we’re all familiar with the process that comes with living with someone else. You have to work around their schedules, be quiet when they’re sleeping or studying, ask them if you can have people over, and generally sacrifice your own wants and needs for the common good of the room. When you live alone, you can do whatever you want! You don’t have to share anything with anyone, and that makes it a lot easier to do your own thing. It also makes you more comfortable in that you have your own space to do what you have to do.

You don’t have to apologize for being yourself
girl blinds sun happy bracelets smiling
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

Sometimes roommates just have clashing personalities that make it difficult to live with each other. Maybe they don’t agree with how you spend your time, or you’re okay with one thing that they’re not okay with. Sometimes, roommate troubles can make you feel like you’re the issue when really some people just don’t get along! Living by yourself means you can be unapologetically you without having to face the judgment of someone else.

We’re all going to have to live on our own at some point, but it doesn’t have to be some scary thing. Living alone has a multitude of benefits and I can guarantee you’ll love the time for yourself!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.