This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

From Zoom fatigue to the failure of small businesses, the COVID-19 pandemic has placed a strain on lives across the country. Although we have all adapted in our own ways and tried to navigate a new normal, the pandemic’s resolution still feels distant. With that being said, vaccines are a beacon of light at the end of a dark tunnel. If everything goes as planned, fingers crossed, mass vaccinations will finally allow society to recover. In this time of newfound hope and optimism, here are some of my predictions for a post-pandemic world.

Entertainment Boom

Right after the Spanish Flu Pandemic that lasted from 1918 to 1920, America entered a period of lavish entertainment, extravagant parties, and overall prosperity—also known as the “Roaring Twenties.” It is likely that during the Spanish Flu, people were longing for large social events in the same way we are today. At the end of such a traumatic time, I predict that people throughout the world will party like never before, attend concerts and festivals frequently, and hold huge social gatherings. After a time of great anxiety and fear, I predict that society will use the entertainment industry to enter back into normalcy and release the nerves that have piled up for so long. Who knows? Maybe we will even enter the Roaring 20s once again.

Sustainability

As we advance as a society, pandemics are, unfortunately, more likely to occur. Urban areas are more crowded than ever, countries depend on one another, and traveling has become a token of modern life. While globalization has led to countless advances, it also means that diseases spread around the world in a heartbeat. By implementing more sustainable ways of working and living, outbreaks are more likely to be contained and the environment will be cleaner. After all, the lack of human intervention during the first weeks of COVID-19 showed how greatly the Earth flourished without our constant exploitation. Hopefully, sustainability will become a critical priority in a post-pandemic world!

Tech Innovation

Although online platforms cannot replace the beauty of in-person interactions and events, there is no doubt that the COVID-19 pandemic has shown us the power of technology. In fact, several industries have found that using more technology optimized their productivity. Also, the app we all know and love, Zoom, has skyrocketed in popularity. Zoom developers are already advancing their technology by adding more enhanced virtual experiences. We will likely continue to see innovations in technology of all kinds. Even after this pandemic is over, technological growth is likely to skyrocket because we have found new and creative ideas during this time of physical distancing.

Gratitude

Going through a pandemic has shown many people a newfound appreciation for activities they may have taken for granted, or seen as “normal.” For example, society has become more appreciative of even the smallest in-person experiences, like spending time with friends or eating at restaurants, activities once considered mundane and overlooked. As a result, people have connected deeply, knowing that we are all in this together. Perhaps after this pandemic, people will find themselves even more grateful for the little things in life. If anything positive has come out of this pandemic, it is that it has taught us to take nothing for granted and to live each day as if it’s our last.

Although the end of the pandemic is still distant, it is never too early to dream about what society will look like after we can finally, and confidently, say it is over. What are your post-pandemic predictions?

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Wish Pandey is a senior at Boston University studying International Relations and Entrepreneurship. In her free time, Wish loves to read, travel, and attend concerts!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.