What I’ve Learned During My First Month Living in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Since moving into college a month ago, I’ve already learned a few things about college life and Boston. If you’re planning on making the move to the city, too, here are my tips!

Hold Onto Something When You Ride the T

I was very excited to ride the T for the first time. I had never been on a subway before, and I couldn’t wait to try it out. Trying to seem like I knew what I was doing, I hopped onto the crowded train car, and, seeing as there weren’t many open spots to hold on, I let someone else stand closer to the pole while I stood right in the middle. As soon as we jolted forward, I stumbled, almost knocking over the group of people in front of me.  Now, maybe you have better balance than I do, but I suggest holding on at least for the first couple of T rides just to make sure.

Get outside

During the first few days of classes, I would always head back to my dorm either right after class or after grabbing lunch. However, after the second week, when it got a little cooler outside, I started taking my homework outside. I discovered some great study spots, like the BU Beach, and enjoyed walks along the Esplanade. I am so much more productive when I do work outside, so when it’s nice weather, I highly recommend hitting the books out in nature.

Be prepared to walk

I had no clue how much walking I would do when I arrived in the city. One day, without realizing it, I walked over 30,000 steps. Though this may seem like a lot, it is actually a good thing. When you walk around, you get to discover new places that you might not have if you were driving or on the T.

The weather is unpredictable

During my first month here, there was a hurricane, it’s been hot, it’s been windy, it’s been cloudy, and it’s been a mix of different types of weather all in one day. When I packed for school, I was only really thinking about making sure I had clothes to wear when fall weather arrived, specifically the cold, leaving me a little unprepared for the 90 degree days we experienced at the beginning of the semester. Boston weather, as far as I can tell, is unpredictable. I try to have outfits with layers so that I can adjust as the weather changes throughout the day.

be open to trying new things

When I came to college, I was nervous and excited about all the new opportunities I had. I have already tried new things that were a little out of my comfort zone and, as a result, had some little adventures. For example, I’m an intern at the school radio station, which is something I never thought I would do before getting here, and I tried a lobster roll (which can be served cold or warm, another thing I learned) for the first time. Both Boston and college have so many things to offer, try stuff out!

Starting a life in a new city always takes some adjusting. Hopefully, my tips from what I’ve learned in my short time here help!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sarah is a freshman at Boston University studying Film and Television in the College of Communication. She is originally from just outside Baltimore, Maryland. She enjoys working on craft projects and watching TV, and she is so excited to be writing for Her Campus BU!
Amille is a senior at Boston University pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English. Her passions include travel, cooking, and creative writing; when she isn't testing new recipes and working on her first novel, she's spending time with pets and making memories with family.