What It’s Like to Move Out of Your Parent’s Place: Q&A

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Everyone looks forward to the moment when they will finally grow up and be handed the keys to their very own apartment. It’s definitely an emotional time because by leaving your parents’ home you are leaving the place you grew up and spent most of your life. However, moving into your first apartment is a big step that should be celebrated.

Rachel Cotton, 24, recently moved out of her parents’ home for the first time. Here is what she has to say about the crazy transition.

Q: What made you want to find your own place?

A: Well, the biggest thing was that I finally could afford to move out on my own. That’s definitely the first step because if you can’t confidently afford it, you shouldn’t move out on your own yet. I guess overall I just wanted to take that next step in my life and feel like more of an adult. I knew I wanted my own space and I felt ready to finally have it.

Q: What was the hardest part of the moving process?

A: The move itself is stressful because you have to coordinate so many different things with the movers, your family, and your apartment, but actually it’s more emotionally tolling than anything. The moment where your old childhood room is finally empty and you’re taking out the last load of things is really hard, but saying goodbye is always hard. It makes you appreciate home a little bit more when you leave.

Q: Do you miss living at home?

A: I love having my own place, but I do miss being around my family constantly. The little bickering is definitely nice to live without, but I definitely have days where I miss home. I brought my cat with me to my new apartment though, so I’m never really alone. I always have her as a little piece of home.

Q: What is your favorite part about living alone?

A: Just being able to do whatever you want to do, whenever you want to do it. I could go buy a sheet cake and have it for breakfast if I wanted, which I haven’t done, but still. It’s nice to blast my music in the living room or sing freely in the shower. I loved decorating the place too, because it really feels one hundred percent my own.

Q: Are you glad you took this step?

A: I am. But that’s because I knew I was ready to. I’m glad I have been able to start a new chapter in my life, in a way, because now I really feel like I can start my adult life. It’s been emotional for sure, but in a good way. It’s a good kind of challenging.

Q: Do you have any advice for other people looking to move into their first place?

A: Once you’re ready, just take the leap. If you know you can afford it and you’ll be okay on your own, I think it’s an important step to finally have something of your own. Also, leases aren’t permanent if it goes horribly, but it won’t. You’ll know when it’s time.

Moving out on your own can feel incredibly terrifying and exciting at the same time. It’s a big step that isn’t to be taken lightly, but hearing from someone who has gone through it is sure to help ease many big concerns about the move. Living alone is a big decision, but it can be an amazing one that truly gives you the freedom of a place of your own.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Julia Novello is a Film and Television major at Boston University, with a minor in Political Science. Her interests include writing, pop culture, binge watching Friends, politics, travelling, and everything to do with Tom Brady. She is a native of Boston, MA.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.