What I’m Looking Forward to After Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s hard for me to believe that in less than two months, I will be totally free from school for the first time in about 17 years. Though I’ve done well throughout my scholastic career, I do believe that my dedication to my studies has come at the expense of, well, everything else. 

I’ve especially started to notice that over the past couple of years. Covid putting the world online made it impossible to separate home and school, eliminating healthy boundaries and work-life balance. When I got back to school in-person for the first semester of senior year, the times of class with friends in my department were over, and only a quarter of my classes that I was taking took the time for students to get to know each other. 

Others I’ve talked to have described to me, unprompted, the same feeling of exhaustion with school that I find myself experiencing — we are ready to get it over with and graduate.

Over the years of college, I have lost out on a lot of the things I enjoy by hyper-focusing on schoolwork. As I shake off that restriction, these are some of the things I am looking forward to after I graduate:

Getting back into reading. 

I just wrote an article about this last week, but I grew up loving to read. My limited free time leaves me largely unmotivated to read because I’m either working on school stuff or worrying about how I’m not working. Without schoolwork to think about, I will be able to fill that gap with relaxed reading that choose.

New hobbies/expanding old ones. 

I have always wanted to take karate, and I might finally have my chance! (My mother was about my age when she started, and she ended up working as an instructor for a while and earning her black belt!) I would love to learn some piano and get back into dance. I have danced since I was three but sadly haven’t gone to a class since Covid began. I also look forward to working on some new baking and cooking recipes and to devoting more serious time to practicing and better understanding the guitar.

Embracing the arts and facing my fears.

Knowing that I want to pursue acting, there is a lot to do in these respects. The biggest thing for me, though, is confidence. I’m considering taking improv to really get me out of my head — and my comfort zone. Without school outlets, it’ll take more effort to find ways to perform, but Boston is back to its status as a prominent filming location, so I will be more available should any work as an extra come up. Luckily, I have a job with a flexible schedule. 

I also can’t wait to take in more theater again. Going back to seeing plays and musicals will be both exciting and educational.

Learning to drive and getting my license. 

Speaking of fears… I’m 22, and I can’t drive (or ride a bike, but I digress). I have my permit, but I’ve only gotten behind the wheel twice since I passed that test in July. I am scared of driving, but I also just haven’t had the time to work on it. Hey, if Olivia Rodrigo can do it, so can I, right?

The option of traveling. 

There are so many places I would love to travel to. One of my dreams is to visit all 50 states, but as far as the U.S. goes, I’ve spent all my time in the Northeast. Yes, it will take me a lot of saving to get to travel at all, but knowing that I wouldn’t have to worry about a class schedule if I did have the money is freeing in its own way. (A license would certainly help here, too.)

Crossing films/shows off my bucket lists. 

Anyone who knows me well knows that I have a long list of movies I want to watch that keeps getting longer and longer. A central list lives in my iPhone notes, but it’s not alone — I’ve created a plague of my own making with queues and lists on every streaming service and across separate notes and paper pages. When I can finish work without having to bring it home with me, I will be beyond ready to keep my screen education coming. 

A mental health break. 

I am well aware that I overwork myself. Though I’ll still have plenty to do, not being graded on any of it will make my life so much more fulfilling and less stressful. I can be my best, minus some of the anxiety that usually tortures me on the way there. 

More time devoted to my family and friends. 

I won’t say I’m a different person when I don’t have school, but I am certainly a much happier and more energetic version of myself. I like the way that I feel when I’m not worrying about the million other things I should be doing besides undistractedly spending time with those I love. I have missed so many important and/or fun occasions — vacations, drives, parties, dinners — but soon, homework and classes won’t be able to dictate how I spend my time. I am instantly happier and healthier when I don’t have school and can devote my time to what (and who) is important to me.

Getting on a more regular sleep schedule.

A.K.A.: not pulling all-nighters. Maybe it’ll relieve some of my headaches. 

Being open to new experiences.

There will be less to keep me from taking the opportunities that might present themselves to me and nothing to stop me from doing something I want to do besides myself. As much as I’ve truly had a lot to prevent me from opportunities before, I am aware that I have most likely used school commitments as an excuse because I feared failing at something. I won’t have that crutch anymore.

I’ve worked so hard for so long in the same way. I still love learning new things, but I honestly can’t wait for the possibility to learn in other ways than the one I’m currently required to. I know there is a certain security to school that it will be scary to lose. I also know that I might not realistically get to all these goals immediately. However, I feel ready for this new chapter and the new challenges that it brings. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Angelina is a senior at BU, studying English in the College of Arts and Sciences, with a focus on Shakespeare. She is from Somerville, MA. In addition to writing for HCBU, Angelina is the Director of BU On Broadway Off Broadway and has been involved with theater through BU Shakespeare Society, Wandering Minds, and Stage Troupe. Outside of school, she enjoys dancing, music, baking, and movie marathons. Her pop culture heart lives in the 1980's.