rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What 13 Reasons Why Tells Us About Sexual Assault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When I heard that Netflix was releasing a television series adaptation of Jay Asher’s novel, “Thirteen Reasons Why,” I couldn’t wait to see how the decade-old plotline would play out on-screen.  Having read the book when it first came out, I expected the heavy themes and sensitive topics that come with the nature of Asher’s book; what I didn’t expect, though, was such a graphic and raw look into the realities of rape and sexual assault.   

Rape and sexual assault are hard to confront head-on, yet Netflix’s take on Asher’s novel does just that.  Several episodes feature graphic depictions of rape and violence that are far from ambiguous, making the trauma that much more tangible.  While these scenes can be extremely triggering, especially for victims of sexual assault, there’s something to be said about the bold choice to attempt to portray the realities of rape, and the repercussions for the victims.  

One overarching message was the different ways that trauma from sexual assault can manifest itself in a victim’s behavior and how they cope with the aftermath.  In the examples shown in “13 Reasons Why,” victims of rape were portrayed turning to alcohol, denial of what happened, or, in the main character’s case, a call for help unanswered followed by taking her own life.  Noticing these warning signs, or being aware of how victims of sexual assault may try to deal with the feelings of violation or shame, sheds some light on how to tell when someone is struggling, and how you or a professional can intervene.   

Perhaps the most important point of the series addressed the stigma associated with being a victim of sexual assault.  Throughout the thirteen episodes, it was clear that the prevalence of defenses like “she was asking for it,” “she wanted me,” “she was drunk,” or simply “she’s lying,” make it hard for victims of rape to report what happened, in fear of being labeled a liar or a slut.  Shows like this, which demonstrate just how destructive acts of sexual assault and rape can be, especially when gone unreported or when victims feel like they can’t reach out for professional help, can hopefully break the stigma and encourage victims who are suffering to seek resources for recovery and justice.   

The truth is, the graphic and raw depiction of rape and sexual assault in “13 Reasons Why” is distressing, but sometimes a show like this that looks to push the limits, ends up being a vehicle of change. If you or someone you know has been a victim of sexual assault, or if you’re looking for more ways to enter the conversation about sexual assault, go to http://www.13reasonswhy.info for resources and information.   

All photos are from the 13 Reasons Why Tumblr Page: https://13reasonswhy.tumblr.com.

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.