Wackiest Health Trends of 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

A new year means new diets and health fads. In our never-ending quest for personal improvement, the media bombards us with “infallible” recipes for slimmer bodies, perfect skin, and physical/spiritual rejuvenation. From clay cleanses to “paleo” diets, dietary regimens that consist solely of food items presumed to be available to the earliest humans (for example fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds), health crazes seem to be more eccentric than ever. Per usual, 2015 has ushered in some of its own wacky heath trends. Do they work? We’ll let you be the judge of that.

Cricket flour

Ever thought bugs might add a little extra kick (or chirp) to your next protein bar or dessert? Well, many consumers seem to think so! Crickets are pulverized into a flour-like powder which can be used as a substitute for its grain-based counterpart. The critters have great nutritional value: they are full of iron, B12, protein, and have nearly as much calcium as a glass of milk.

​Butter coffee

This concoction presumably has its proponents and skeptics. Doctor Frank Lipman, who works with stars like Gwenyth Paltrow, claims that the drink provides consumers with excellent mental clarity and a swift boost of energy throughout the day. However, other medical professionals assert that the 450 calorie drink, although recommended as an alternative to the traditional breakfast, is high in saturated fat and provides minimal nutritional quality. You may want to stick to your morning eggs and toast.

Snail facial

Those slimy, slow-moving mollusks can now be a part of your skin routine. Salons around the world in Japan, Thailand, China, and now England are offering a new facial treatment that involves live snails crawling along one’s face. The mucus left behind by the shelled creatures is said to be chalk full of nutrients and antioxidants that leave skin looking young and fresh. The slime is also attributed to easing inflammation and providing essential moisture.

Morning raves

What better way to say hello to Monday morning than with a dance party? Hundreds of people across the U.S. have been flocking to particular clubs at the crack of dawn to get in some early morning cardio. Think roving laser lights and pumping electronic music, but without any of the mind-altering substances (drugs/alcohol) that are often consumed at such venues. No hangover necessary.

Charcoal

Juice bars of late have adopted the liquid charcoal trend. The mixture supposedly has great detoxifying benefits, providing the perfect remedy for that excessive food-induced belly ache or nausea resulting from one too many tequila shots.

Bone broth

Bone broth, made by boiling poultry, beef, or fish bones, is said to have many health-boosting benefits including shinier hair, improved digestion, and reduced joint pain and inflammation. The process of making bone broth can take anywhere from four to 48 hours, but for those who do not desire to endure the wait, this mineral rich infusion is available online and in select restaurants. Add a touch of vegetables, herbs, and spices into the mix to emulate your favorite soup recipe.  

Rewilding

That’s right, it’s time to get back to the basics. Well at least according to the new “rewilding” trend, which promotes emulating the lifestyle of our “caveman” predecessors. Founded by health motivator and strategist Daniel Vitalis, this wellness method consists of activities such as hunting, gathering, and drinking from natural streams. Through its primitive methods, “rewilding” aims to put us in touch with our natural instincts and reveal our powers of adaptability for healthier, more self-sufficient ways of living. And although this may come as a shock to some, the lack of wi-fi means you won’t be Instagramming your journey along the way.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.