Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Unique Date Ideas to Spice Up Your Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Whether you’ve been dating someone for a few weeks or a few years, it’s good to branch out and try a unique date activity. Dinner, a movie, or drinks can be fun, but it gets old when that’s all you’re doing. Mixing up your routine can be refreshing for your relationship, and it’s fun to try new things together. Here are some unique (and cheap) date ideas.

Find a local museum

Many towns have small local museums about the town’s history, local artwork, or someone’s random personal collection. It’s even more fun if the museum is weird, like the Toby Jug Museum in Evanston, IL or the Museum of Bad Art in Somerville, MA. Regardless of if you end up enjoying the museum, it’ll definitely be a memorable experience.

Dollar store date

Go to the nearest dollar store and buy anything that looks interesting! Chances are, the quality won’t be too good, but it’s enough for one fun date. See what activities you can come up with using only what you bought. As a bonus, this is also a great cheap date idea.

Go for a drive

Driving can be a great way to explore an area. Try not to use a map, and go look for hidden gems like murals, parks, beaches, cafes, cute houses, or funny signs. Bring a picnic, take some pictures, and enjoy the day together.

Read together

If you both like reading, this can be a great date. Many people find themselves with a long list of books and little time to actually read them. Grab your books, and curl up in front of the fireplace or lay out on the beach. You don’t have to be talking to get some quality time together!

Childhood date

Get some things that remind you of your childhood, like bubbles, sidewalk chalk, or board games, and have a fun day reminiscing. Chances are you haven’t known each other your entire lives, so it’s a good way to learn more about each other. Plus, who doesn’t still love drawing with chalk or playing Go Fish?

Go ugly outfit shopping

Go to a mall and try on the ugliest clothing and outfit combinations you can find. You’ll have some good laughs, especially when you remind yourself that people actually buy those things. You can take some funny pictures, and there’s no need to spend any money.

Step out of your comfort zone, get to know each other better, and spice up your date nights!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emily is a communication student at Boston University. She discovered her go-to accessory, a camera, at age two. In her free time, she explores the city, binge-watches Netflix, searches for cute bookstores, and wanders through any parks and gardens she can find.