This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Planning a girl’s night to watch The Notebook? Just broke up with your significant other? Having a breakdown from stress? We’ve all been there, but no matter what’s going on, the last thing you want is to cry and turn into a raccoon. I’m a huge crier, especially at movies, and over the years I’ve tried my fair share of mascaras.

Here are my top three tried-and-tested formulas that won’t smudge, streak or flake.

Benefit BADgal BANG

Photo Credit: Princess Polly

This mascara is my holy grail because it’s gorgeous and super reliable. The formula is lengthening, volumizing, and a little more on the wet side but once it dries, it’s not going anywhere. I’ve had unprompted sobbing sessions in this mascara and people have actually commented on how it looked like I hadn’t even shed a tear. This mascara is magical, I promise.

MAC Upward Lash

Photo Credit: highendlove

Although Benefit is my fave, this formula is a close second. This was the first mascara I had ever bought, and I still love it to this day. Much like BADgal BANG, this mascara does it all. It’s a wet formula and boasts to “[create] high-rise levels of volume, length and curl in seconds.” I can attest to that, and on top of it all, it won’t run if you start crying.

If I’m honest, the only thing really different about the top two mascaras is the wand. Both are a rubbery plastic which helps create those long voluminous lashes, but Benefit’s wand is long and tapered, while MAC’s wand is short and even. Both will withstand any amount of tears, it’s just up to the application.

Wander Beauty Mile High Club

Photo Credit: Wander Beauty

If you’re not into super wet formulas or rubbery wands, this is the mascara for you. This formula is slightly thicker than the previous two, and the wand is a typical bristle applicator. The best part about it, though, is the squeezy tube packaging so you can get every last bit. This one works just as well to prevent raccoon eyes despite the difference in formula, and still provides gorgeous, long, and voluminous lashes.

If none of these three work for you, I’d recommend trying any mascara that has a wetter formula. I know they can smudge a little on first application, but after that, they tend to dry down which helps make them last through the tears. Usually, drier formulas can flake really easily and won’t withstand lots of wear throughout the day whether you cry or not.

My last tip to making your mascara last through a crying sesh has nothing to do with the mascara itself. DON’T RUB YOUR EYES! I know it’s tempting, but the minute you touch your eyes, the mascara will transfer. The three mascaras I recommend do a heckin’ good job of staying put on their own, as long as you keep your hands away from your face until your tears have dried!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.