nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips on How to Be Super-Involved Without Being Incredibly Overwhelmed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

For most collegiettes, day-to-day life is packed with homework, socializing, and the occasional extra-curricular obligation. But for those of us who can’t resist trying to do it all, before we know it, we have a job, an internship, leadership positions, and a full-course load to manage. So, is it possible to be involved in everything we want, without sacrificing sleep and a social life? Here are a few tips on how you can do it all while keeping your sanity intact.

1. Keep Your Obligations Organized

Set yourself up for success by keeping all your events, commitments, assignments, and due dates organized in one place. Whether you make use of the calendar on your computer or prefer to hand-write everything in an agenda, keeping track of all your different obligations is key to staying on top of your game.

2. Make Time for Yourself

Just like you would pencil in a due date or an interview, make sure to schedule time for yourself. Make an appointment for a manicure, or even block out an evening to watch your favorite movie. If you want to avoid being overwhelmed, prioritizing “me time” is a must.

3. It’s Okay to Say No

When you’ve already got an internship, an executive board position in your sorority, and a side-hustle, it might be easy to think, “what’s the harm of one more activity?” when you’re asked to take on another obligation. Even though it’s great to be involved in as many ways as you can, it’s always better to do your best in everything you do, than to overextend yourself and let some of your efforts fall short. Be honest with yourself, and don’t be afraid to say no when you realize you’ve already got enough on your plate.

4. Remember That You’re Going to Make Mistakes, And It’s Going to Be Okay

There’s no denying that we’re all only human, and inevitably going to slip up from time to time. Especially when you’re juggling a million commitments, one of these days you’re bound to miss a deadline, snooze your alarm, forget a meeting, or make a mistake. The good news? It’s going to be okay, and as long as you’re dedicated to everything you do, one small misstep isn’t going to make it all come crashing down. Cut yourself some slack, take a deep breath, and get back to making it happen.

For all those girl bosses out there trying to do it all, keep these tips in mind, grab some coffee, and get to work!

All photos from Her Campus on Pinterest

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.