This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ins

Saying yes to everything

Every yes is a new experience. As a transfer, everything is new to you, so saying yes to new things is your best friend! Explore a new library, go out with a new friend, and say yes to every opportunity you have to expand your horizons on campus. Worst case, you find out something isn’t quite right for you. No harm done!

Going to office hours

Classes may have only just begun, but there is nothing better than setting yourself up for success. Go talk to your professors, figure out the expectations for their classes, and make sure you are ready to take on classes at BU.

coffee dates

There is no better way to get to know someone than through a simple coffee date. Take advantage of the fact you have someone to go with and get to know them. Coffee dates are low stakes, just talk about your day and your experiences, and you might even find some common interests. Go to Pavement and buy yourself that latte that you’ve been dying to try since you got here!

Outs

Being socially exclusive

You just got here, you don’t know anyone. The most important thing is to meet as many people as you can. You never know who will end up being your best friend! Not everyone you meet will have a place in your life, but stay open to making new friends and developing your social life on campus.

Forgetting self-care

Transferring is hard. It is incredibly intense to be put in a new place and juggle building a social life while managing your classes. Take time for yourself, whether that’s taking a day off to spend time with a friend or doing your skincare routine. Always remember to take care of yourself!

Doubting your place

You likely transferred because your old college wasn’t the right environment. It is totally normal to worry about starting over when you leave a less-than-ideal situation, especially starting fresh at a massive school. With 16,000 students at BU, there is guaranteed to be a place for everyone. Don’t rush to find your place, it will all work out with time.

college parties?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
NETFLIX

Bu can be whatever you make of it when you have an Open mind. you can do this!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! My name is Maya Reisner and I am on the writing team for HCBU. I started college at Barnard College where I wrote for the campus newspaper but then transferred to Boston University. Now I write for Her Campus BU here! In my free time, I love to write. Journalism is truly my passion, and being a part of HCBU is very important to me. Aside from writing, I love to spend time with friends, going out to eat or just spending time together on campus.