Sundays with Margo: On Feeling Grateful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Over the summer, I read Sheryl Sandberg’s book Option B. I discussed the general synopsis of the book in a previous article — she pretty much covers how to deal with loss. I think when it comes to starting your life at college, you do experience loss in varying ways that can easily take a toll on yourself. The concept of loss in college is something that I plan on discussing on Sundays with Margo in the future, but for now there’s only one thing that I want to talk about: being grateful. 

In Option B, Sandberg discusses one particular ritual that she did to help get her through her times of hardship — writing three things she was grateful for right before bed. Coming into the month of November, I currently look back on my October feeling like it could have been better emotionally speaking. 

With November and Thanksgiving arriving and the concept of being thankful on the mind, I couldn’t help but smile last night over some little things that I feel so grateful for. It was sweet, to be honest with you. There I was, spending my Friday night in, all alone studying, while everyone was out. But I wasn’t alone; in fact, I didn’t feel alone… I felt so loved. I had spent dinner with two best friends and was texting with my two other best friends. I feel so incredibly grateful for the consistent loved ones in my life. My best friends (and parents included in the best friend categories) are always there for me. So to my sweet, ride or die buddies (you know who you are), thank you for everything you do.

And to my mom and dad — I know we just FaceTimed, but thank you for all your eternal support.

4 months ago, I picked up Sandberg’s book and read that very line about writing down the three things you are grateful for about a particular day, each night. I began to do the same for the whole month of June every day I got home from work in NYC. The experience itself really put things into perspective and is a great way to look at any situation on a particular day with a fresh set of eyes.

Going into the month of November, I encourage you to do the same and give it a try. Let me know how it goes!

Until Next Sunday,

Margo

Margo Ghertner is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Boston University. When the Nashville-native isn't writing and helping the other HCBU teams execute their projects, you can find her listening to business podcasts, baking, reading, and spending time with her friends.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.