Sundays with Margo: Being Content and a Creature of Habit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In one of my classes a couple of weeks ago, one of my professors presented us with a question. This professor asked, “When was the last time you changed something in your routine, a behavior, just something?” No one really answered and no one could really come up with what the professor thought was “serious.” It was almost as if we were crazy for not having some mind-blowing, Oprah-esque answer. After this class, I really got to thinking about my own personal answer to this question.

All of my friends know that I have my distinct “isms.” Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I meet my best friend for lunch and we work until we’ve worked our to hearts’ content. Of course there are days where we both have things that come up, but for the most part this is the baseline structure for my week. I love making lists. I map out everything. I clean every Thursday. I call my parents once per day. I write this advice column every week. These are the things that I do weekly, habitually, that give me joy. So my real question is, what’s wrong with habit? What’s wrong with doing the things that make us distinctly ourselves and innately us? Of course, there are times of transition, times where we grow into something new or have a desire for change and putting ourselves out there. But, there’s nothing wrong with having core fundamental parts of our daily lives that are consistent. Consistency is a great quality to have because it allows for a strong sense of self. And hey! A strong sense of self…. is awesome!

Till Next Sunday,

Margo

Got a topic you want to be covered? Submit your question to margogh@bu.edu.

Margo Ghertner is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Boston University. When the Nashville-native isn't writing and helping the other HCBU teams execute their projects, you can find her listening to business podcasts, baking, reading, and spending time with her friends.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.