Strategizing for Summer Internships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As spring break comes to an end and summer is salient in our minds, the excitement that comes with the end of a school year is undeniably accompanied by a bit of panic–what am I going to do this summer!? Although the hunt for internships is a daunting and competitive feat, have no fear, collegiettes! Follow these simple steps to get your mind geared by and ready to take on the challenge of landing a summer internship.

1.  Decide what you want to do

First things first, you need to figure out what you are hoping to get out of a potential summer internship. If you are studying something very specific (such as finance, journalism, or engineering) make sure that you are looking for internships that help you cultivate and foster the skills you are learning in classes. If your major is a bit more broad (English, communications studies, or even undeclared) be prepared to know your strongest abilities and demonstrate how your skills can be of great contribution to whatever companies you are applying to.

2.  Make a list

Due to the high demand of college students also on the internship hunt, it is important that you have options. Simply applying to one internship is not necessarily going to land you the job. If you don’t get the job, you must have back ups. Do some research on the BU Career Link and see which local employers are seeking interns, then make a list of companies you would be interested working for.

3.  Perfect your résumé

Write, rewrite and rewrite your résumé again! Your résumé is not only what will show your skills and competence, but it also the first thing that can hold you back from landing an interview. Although you may have tons and tons of cool and rewarding experience from high school, make sure that your résumé only has the most vital information that the company would want to see. Never have your résumé exceed more than one page, and look for powerful verbs to describe your work experience and ethic.

4.  Nail the cover letter

When writing a cover letter, it is important to divide the writing up into chunks. Begin with an opening that immediately sells you as a desirable intern. Although the paragraphs will be short, they must be punchy and the opening needs to make the employer want to know more about you. As the cover letter continues, discuss your relevant experience and how those experiences will serve as valuable skills for the internship. Lastly, end on a note that tells the company why you want to work for them. Basically, tell them why you would be honored to work for them and what the opportunity would mean to you. Do not forget to thank them!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.