This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m an avid reader. Or, at least, I try to be. 

I used to read all the time. Whether I was stashing one under the counter at work or carrying one around school in anticipation of a free moment, I was never without a book.

However, I often fall victim to “reading slumps,” also known as a period of disinterest or lack of motivation in reading. I find that during the fall, when I’m adjusting to a new class schedule after having a stress-free summer break, I see a dip in my reading frequency for a few weeks at a time. 

This semester — my first semester of college — has been my largest reading slump yet.

It’s not that I don’t want to read. I brought a handful of books with me, thinking the city would refresh and inspire me to spend my time accompanied by a hot coffee and a good book.

Unfortunately, when my new workload took priority, there was seemingly less time left for reading. I always feel like I have to be working on something, and that has caused me to never give myself time for productive, stress-free activities.

I also had to read pages on pages of textbooks for class, so what energy could have possibly been left in me to read for pleasure? Reading fatigue came over me, but it wasn’t because I’d lost interest in the books I chose to read. It was because I began to associate all reading with work.

This wasn’t helped by my commitment to using Goodreads, an app for tracking the books you read. The app includes an annual challenge in which I overestimate my abilities and never reach my reading goal by the end of each year.

Plus, in the free time I did have, I began to spend my time binge-watching shows or scrolling endlessly on TikTok and Instagram. I forgot there were other forms of relaxation.

Despite the lack of interest in reading that I had developed this semester, I had an epiphany of sorts.

My roommate introduced me to Pretend It’s a City, a Netflix series following conversations between writer Fran Lebowitz and director Martin Scorsese. In the series, Lebowitz discusses her observations about life, particularly in New York. She often speaks from the perspective of someone who doesn’t have a cell phone.

I was in awe of Lebowitz’s ideas and her entire worldview. Her wit and intelligence enamored me. I immediately wanted to hear more from her. 

The following weekend, I purchased The Fran Lebowitz Reader, a published collection of comedic essays from Lebowitz’s bestsellers Metropolitan Life and Social Studies. I ate up every word she wrote and finally put an end to my slump.

Revived at last, I am now determined to build momentum and continue to read books that inspire me the way Lebowitz’s did. 

Here is my plan, and hopefully, it can help you to get out of your own reading slump.

First, don’t let weeks of upcoming work stop you from enjoying yourself. Make time in your schedule to read or make a point of reading after you complete your immediate to-do list. It also helps to differentiate between obligatory reading for class and voluntary reading or pleasure.

Second, be conscious of doom-scrolling. If you want to make time for reading, you’ll have to maximize your free time. This means limiting trips down social media rabbit holes.

And finally, make your return to reading fun. Take the time to look for new books at independent Boston bookstores, like Trident Booksellers on Newbury Street. Pick out something that interests you, such as a memoir by your favorite celebrity or a light romance read, rather than trying to wade through something heavy or slow. Reading Shakespeare is often not the best option for escaping a slump.

I hope we can start to love reading again together!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Lauren Albano is a weekly writer at the Her Campus at Boston University chapter. At Her Campus, she shares personal experiences and reflects on different aspects of her life as a new college student. Her goal is to convey her feelings in a way that readers can relate to, helping both the reader and herself to understand and stomach the exciting, and sometimes overwhelming, college experience. Beyond Her Campus, Lauren is an opinion columnist at The Daily Free Press and a writer for Off The Cuff magazine and Boston Political Review. She works on the show On That Point on BUTV10 and interns on Listen Up! on WTBU radio. She is currently a freshman at Boston University, majoring in Journalism. In her free time, Lauren enjoys playing soccer and flag football and going for walks along the Charles River. She likes to listen to music and podcasts, read literary fiction, and make cold brew coffee in her dorm. She also loves to write outside of her journalistic work and dreams of publishing her first book one day. She is an avid fan of Big Brother when she isn’t rewatching The Office or Impractical Jokers. Her all-time favorite movie is Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.