“S.L.U.T.”: A Must-Listen for Any Girl Wanting to Feel Empowered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Pop-rock singer-songwriter Bea Miller released three new songs in her latest EP, Chapter 3: Yellow, this past Friday, October 6.  One of the songs is titled, “S.L.U.T.,” and she uses the lyrics to redefine the word.  “Slut” is very often used to demean women for being comfortable with their sexuality and “slut-shaming” is an unfortunate reality many women face in society. Listen to the audio here.

Miller turns “slut” on its head and transforms it into an acronym standing for “sweet little unforgettable thing.”  This new definition gives “slut” a more positive connotation.  The key line of the chorus is “Know that I’m not sorry, I’m just loving my body.  I don’t care if you scared of a sweet little unforgettable thing.”  Miller is not apologizing for embracing her body and she asserts that confidently.

Throughout the lyrics, Miller proclaims messages of loving your entire self and owning it no matter what other people think or the criticisms you receive.  Another significant lyric is, “Shame on me, baby, I ain’t gon’ change,” which directly combats the concept of slut-shaming.  She shames herself ironically and declares that she will not let slut-shaming have an adverse effect on her.

“S.L.U.T.” is one of three songs on Miller’s latest EP, Chapter Three: Yellow.  This is the third segment of her new album, which she has been releasing in batches of three songs.  Each EP is labeled with a chapter number and a color that relates to the songs’ overarching theme.  Miller has synesthesia, which causes her to hear music in colors, so the chapter colors personally connect to her.  Chapter One: Blue encompasses sad and defeated feelings, Chapter Two: Red radiates anger, and Chapter Three: Yellow embodies rebirth.  In a couple of months, Miller will release her album as a whole, including the final chapter.  She has suggested that it will be called Spectrum, as she takes listeners on an emotional and colorful journey.

“S.L.U.T.” deserves to be at the top of everyone’s playlist.  It not only has an empowering message, but it also has an addictive beat and gripping lyrics that will have you singing and dancing in the most inappropriate settings.  So blast this song, sing, dance, and be proud to be a “sweet little unforgettable thing.”

Cover by Angelo Kitikos

Alexandra Kallfelz is a senior studying journalism at Boston University. Besides writing, Alexandra's passions include color guard, travel, Netflix, music, and Disney. She is a pure-blood New Englander and a dog fanatic.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.