This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We all dream of having glowing, radiant, firm, and healthy skin. I am sure that all of us have had to deal with a skin issue at some point in our lives, whether it’s acne, dryness, sensitivity or oiliness. However, I believe skin issues can be minimized by applying these golden rules of skincare! Here are some of the essential golden rules that everyone can follow. Whatever your skin type, these habits will boost your skin care routine:

1. Make sure to drink plenty of H2O.

Water is essential for a proper skincare routine. Dehydration causes dryness, and the best way to avoid is to make sure to drink plenty of water every day. It is generally suggested to drink between six and eight 8-ounce glasses. However, some of us might have a hard time consuming this much of water every day. My trick to drinking more water is by adding some fresh fruit to it. I usually put lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, cucumber, and mint into the water to enhance the taste.

2. Never sleep with makeup.

This is my motto for my skincare. I usually avoid putting on foundation daily and prefer to let my skin breathe. I always make sure to cleanse my face before bed every night. My personal favorite cleansers are micellar waters. Coconut oil and rose water are also great products to clean and nourish your skin. After having wiped out all the makeup, I always put on some serum and moisturizer. Also, getting enough sleep is an important part of having good skin. The body needs rest for renewal.

3. Workout and sweat.

Exercising is great for every part of our body and mind. Regular exercise is also one of the keys to healthy skin. It increases blood flow and draws toxins out of the body. By boosting circulation, it brings more oxygen into your skin. 

P.S: Make sure to wipe out all your makeup before getting that workout! This is very important for your skin to breathe easily. 

4. Nourish your body from the inside out.

This particular step is the key element for healthy skin. You are what you eat, and your skin directly reflects what you put in your body. Whenever people ask me about my skin, my answer is that I always make sure to eat well and consume lots of vegetables, and fruits. 

First of all, eat and drink greens. I love vegetables, however, it is not possible to eat tons of them at once, and our bodies cannot digest all the vitamins easily just by eating. Drinking your greens help you to get tons of vitamins and antioxidants at the same time. My favorite green juices and smoothies usually include lots of vegetables and couple of fruits. I try to add only one fruit to every juice because it could increase your sugar intake. Some of the key ingredients for a juice for glowing skin could be kale, spinach, cucumber, ginger, turmeric, lemon, lime, celery, parsley, avocado, and green apple. Other than green juices, I like to consume lots of antioxidants like berries. 

My key solution to having good skin is the amount of lemon water I consume. Lemon has tons of benefits, and it helps illuminate the skin like nothing else as it is a great source of vitamin C! I squeeze lemon into my water all the time. It detoxifies the body, clears up the skin, and also aids in digestion!

Fatty acids are also good for your skin. They help cells to retain water. Some sources are salmon, avocado, walnuts, almonds, flaxseeds, chia seeds, coconut and olive oil.

5. Put on sunscreen no matter the season.

We all know that we need to protect our skin from the sun by now. Whether it’s raining, snowing or sunny out there, you should always put on sunscreen. However, the product needs to be directly in contact with your skin. We need to apply sunscreen as the first thing in our routine. Also, sunscreen should be applied 20-30 minutes before sun exposure for it to start working. 

6. Moisturize daily and exfoliate regularly. 

Keep your skin glowing by moisturizing every single day. It is such an essential step of skincare routine that it should never be missed. The skin tends to get even drier during the winter season. Cold weather steals moisture away from our skin. Make sure to put on moisture at least twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. Also, keep in mind trying to have a different moisturizer for your face and eye area compared to your body. I also love using dry oils for moisturizing my face. I apply oils after I’ve done my whole routine, on top of my moisturizer as my last step. Some personal favorites are Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Dry Oil, Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate and Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil.

Daily cleansing and moisturizing are needed to maintain great skin. Besides them, another ultimate step is exfoliation. Exfoliation helps to reduce the dry skin and removes dead cells from skin surface. However, it should not be done every day. It is usually recommended to exfoliate twice a week. 

7. Alleviate stress.

In my opinion, this is the hardest part. Stress causes every kind of damage to our body and mind. However, eating well, working out regularly, and trying to look at life in the most positive way possible could help your skin to glow. Listen to yourself, listen to your body, and try to enjoy life as much as possible! Treat yourself! Your mood will reflect on your skin.

8. Read the ingredients.

While buying skin products, make sure to read the ingredients list. Reading all the chemical terms can be confusing. An easy way is to focus on the first top five ingredients on the list. Even though there are many harmful chemicals, some to avoid could be parables, sulfates, and fragrances. I believe that the shorter the list, the safer the product.

I hope that these rules could help and guide you on your journey to a better skin! They are all very basic steps that we all could include into our lives, not just for a better skin, but also to be healthier overall! 

Love,

Lale

Cover Photo Credit: Bows and Pleats

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.