Short Story Review—Zadie Smith’s Crazy They Call Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Onto the fourth New Yorker story from their Best Stories of 2017, this week I read Zadie Smith’s Crazy They Call Me.

Credit

Zadie Smith is a contemporary author and professor of Creative Writing at New York University. Her first book, White Teeth, was published in 2000 and since then she has published multiple other novels, compilations of essays, and short stories.

Credit

Crazy They Call Me is a unique, second person story from the point of view of Billie Holiday. The story is used as the introduction to Jerry Dantzic: Billie Holiday at Sugar Hill which is a book of photographs taken from Holiday’s week-long performances in Newark, New Jersey.

Credit

Zadie Smith wrote this short story in response to Dantzic’s photographs, which offer an intimate look into the life of the star. It’s an interesting method of writing to use the second person and talk seemingly to the reader, but what makes this story even more unique was the liberty which Smith takes with projecting the mind of the iconic singer.

This piece is a different take on the writing we’re used to seeing about celebrities which are mainly interviews. It was bold for Smith to write a piece from the point of view of Holiday and to write what she thinks was going on in the mind of the singer. But the response from critics has only been positive.

Fans of both Holiday and Smith were drawn to this New Yorker story because it offered Holiday fans a chance to get inside the head of the singer during a brief but intimate time during her life. Followers of Smith enjoyed the piece for her boldness in taking on the subject, but also in the success she had with it.

Credit

Overall this story emphasized a niche side of The New Yorker, revealing that even the most specific fans of a writer or singer can band together in support of a piece of literature.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Gabriella is studying English at Boston University and is a member of the class of 2020. Her past times include reading, watching tv, working out, and spending time with friends! Gabriella loves going to school in Boston and spending her weekends exploring the city and taking advantage of all the free events it offers, but she also really misses her Jeep. Favorite book: The Great Gastby. Favorite T.V. Show: Gossip Girl.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.