Culture > News

Senator Elizabeth Warren Hints at Running for President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This Saturday at a town hall in Holyoke, Massachusetts, US Senator Elizabeth Warren announced to a standing ovation that she might run for the White House in 2020. In her speech, she said that she will be taking a “hard look at running for president after the midterm elections.” The speech is available to watch here.

Warren is now considering running in the Democratic primary race, along with Senator Bernie Sanders and former Vice President Joe Biden. However, until today, Senator Warren has insisted on how crucial the upcoming midterm elections are for Democrats when asked about her plans to run for President.

Her motivation to running for office? President Trump’s take on democracy. “I am worried down to my bones about what Donald Trump is doing to our democracy,” Warren said.

In light of the infuriating Kavanaugh hearing this Thursday, Warren said, “I watched powerful men helping a powerful man make it to an even more powerful position. And I thought, time’s up It’s time for women to go to Washington and fix our broken government and that includes a woman at the top.”

“Nevertheless, she persisted.” When Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell tried silencing Warren in the Senate with that sentence, he did not know that his speech would actually become an empowering rallying cry for a new generation of feminists determined to follow Warren’s path and fight for equality. If Warren does choose to run for office in 2020, it is likely that this motto will shape her campaign.

Let us hope that she will be the one to finally shatter that glass ceiling we have been talking about for so long.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ariane is a senior at Boston University pursuing a dual degree in Journalism and Political Science with a minor in Public Relations. She loves exploring coffee shops and hanging out at the Harbor. When she's not writing and editing for Her Campus, Ariane talks about women's achievements on her radio show "Ladies of History."
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.