This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the entire world already knows at this point, Taylor Swift just dropped her sixth studio album: Reputation. In Reputation’s first day on the market, 700,000 copies were sold in the United States alone, and for a good reason.

Reputation is very clearly Swift’s best put-together album to date. Every single track feels like a massive production, and the overall quality of the songs surpasses her old albums without question. Even if Reputation isn’t your favorite album of Swift’s in terms of music style, Reputation is clearly a masterpiece.

Here is a track-by-track look into Taylor Swift’s best album yet:

1. “…Ready For It?”

The beat of the first track off Swift’s album is absolutely infectious, and the heavy bass during the verses is balanced out by a softer chorus. Swift just performed this song on Saturday Night Live, and her choreographed routine was seriously impressive. Right off the bat, Taylor is clearly stepping up her game with this album by putting an epic song first on the track list.

Best Lyric: “Baby, let the games begin.”

2. “End Game”

Taylor Swift with Future and Ed Sheeran? Admittedly, this is an odd mix of singers, but after hearing this song I promise you will be sold. This is one of my favorite songs off of Reputation, and I’m sorry in advance because it will be stuck in your head for days to come. Ed Sheeran’s verse is perfect, and somehow Future’s voice pairs with Taylor’s flawlessly. This song, along with most of the album, is unlike anything Taylor has done before, and “End Game” is the best proof that Taylor is truly more versatile than people give her credit for.

Best Lyric: “I bury hatchets, but I keep maps of where I put them.”

3. “I Did Something Bad”

It’s hard to believe that this song came from the same Taylor Swift who used to write cute little love songs about being the damsel in distress, and waiting for boys to come save her. Not anymore. This song is unapologetic and is one example of a theme present in Reputation where Swift finally is taking control of her relationships. She is now finally writing songs about herself having the power in a relationship, and I’m so here for it.

Best Lyric: “If he drops my name, then I owe him nothing. And if he spends my change, then he had it coming.”

4. “Don’t Blame Me”

This is arguably my absolute favorite song off of Reputation. This is one of those songs you listen to when you need to run on a treadmill at full speed to blow off steam. The production value of this song is incredible, and Taylor’s vocals are better than they’ve ever been before. She really pushes herself with this one, and the last chorus in particular truly shows off her vocal range. Needless to say, this song has been playing on repeat in my dorm room and I should probably apologize to my roommate for it.

Best Lyric: “Don’t blame me, love made me crazy. If it doesn’t, you ain’t doing it right.”

5. “Delicate”

The first softer song on the album, “Delicate” is a really beautiful track that details Taylor falling for somebody and the timidness that accompanies falling in love. This track is slightly more reminiscent of Taylor’s old work, like 1989, in the sense that there are less heavy electronic beats. Overall, Reputation features faster epic songs, but having a few slower tracks like this one on the album really make it complete and well-balanced.

Best Lyric: “We can’t make any promises now, can we babe? But you can make me a drink.”

6. “Look What You Made Me Do”

Pretty much everybody on the face of the earth has heard this song by now, as it was the very first single off of Reputation. The music video for this song is basically a short movie and is made so incredibly well that I recommend everyone watch it ASAP. This song is, of course, regarding the drama that ensued between Taylor and Kanye West about his rude lyrics including her name in his song “Famous.” Thank god for that drama, because we got a true bop out of it. Even if you’re not a fan of LWYMMD, it really is infectious.

Best Lyric: “I’m sorry the old Taylor can’t come to the phone right now. Why? Oh, cause she’s dead.”

7. “So It Goes…”

This is another slower song, and again shows Taylor’s new approach to falling in love. Taylor demonstrates her songwriting control as well as her control of her love life with this song. Taylor knows now that she has guys wrapped around her finger, and not the other way around. This ballad is a really pretty song overall, and it’s a refreshing step back from super intense songs like “Look What You Made Me Do.”

Best Lyric: “You did a number on me, but honestly baby who’s counting?”

8. “Gorgeous”

The lyrics of Swift’s third single are slightly more juvenile than her other songs off of this album, but this lines up with the theme of “Gorgeous.” In this song, Taylor has a schoolgirl crush on a boy that she thinks is, well, gorgeous. The details of this song, like that Taylor had a boyfriend while falling for this new blue-eyed boy, have led people to speculate that this song is about her current boyfriend Joe Alwyn. Either way, this song is a really fun and upbeat take on wanting a hot boy you can’t have. Relatable.

Best Lyric: “If you got a girlfriend, I’m jealous of her. But if you’re single, that’s honestly worse.”

9. “Getaway Car”

This song is the one that rounds out my top three favorite songs off of Reputation. The slower and mellowed out ballad has a really beautiful atmosphere about it, and the story the song conveys is also a tragic yet beautiful moment. This song is likely about Tom Hiddleston, as Taylor details how she left Calvin Harris with Tom in a “getaway car,” only to leave Tom in that same car later on. Taylor sounds almost apologetic as she explains why he should have seen it coming when she left him. Swift truly is the master at telling a story in only a few minutes.

Best Lyric: “We were jet-set, Bonnie and Clyde, until I switch to the other side.”

10. “King of My Heart”

This song is admittedly not one that sticks out in my mind amongst the other masterpieces in Reputation, but I still really appreciate it for what it says about Taylor Swift. “King of My Heart” is really just an upbeat song that details how truly happy Taylor is with her current boyfriend Joe Alwyn, and that happiness and trust in him is another theme that carries throughout Reputation.

Best Lyric: “Is the end of all the endings? My broken bones are mending with all the nights we’re spending.”

11. “Dancing With Our Hands Tied”

This song is reminiscent of some songs on Taylor’s 1989 album, as it is an upbeat pop song yet it isn’t as heavily synthesized as some other tracks on Reputation. The story in this song is similar to the one in “Getaway Car.” Both tracks detail Taylor in a relationship that she pursued despite having bad feelings about them, and both are amazing songs.

Best Lyric: “I’m a mess, but I’m the mess that you wanted.”

12. “Dress”

This song is certainly something different for Taylor, who usually keeps her songs pretty PG. Rumor has it that when Taylor first played this song for a group of fans, Taylor’s mom left the room. If that doesn’t tell you the vibe of this track, I don’t know what will. The song is mellow and passionate and details Taylor’s lust for one of her past flames.

Best Lyric: “Only bought this dress so you could take it off. Take it off.”

13. “This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things”

This track is another one of my favorites from Reputation because it’s light-hearted and upbeat despite being a diss track arguably more shady than “Look What You Made Me Do.” This track is also about the fight Taylor had with Kanye West and Kim Kardashian-West, and particularly about the recorded phone call that sparked the resurgence of World War III. If you have a person in mind that you would love to sing a diss track to, this song will definitely do the trick. Taylor’s cackle at the end of the song is only an added bonus.

Best Lyric: “Herein lies the issue, friends don’t try to trick you. Get you on the phone and mind-twist you.”

14. “Call It What You Want”

This song was the final single Taylor released before her full album came out, and it is definitely my favorite song among those singles. The track is slowed down and gives off really calming vibes. Taylor again includes themes of being so happy with her new boyfriend, and not caring what anyone else thinks or has to say about it. I’m so here for this new era of Taylor.

Best Lyric: “I’m laughing with my lover. Making forts under covers. Trust him like a brother. Yeah, you know I did one thing right.”

15. “New Years Day”

This song is one of the best-written songs lyrically on this album, and it is definitely the most similar to her old music. The song is completely acoustic and slowed-down, and there’s no better word to describe it than simply pretty. There’s a rawness to the music and the vocals that is very soothing, and the message of the song is so sweet that the track could put you to sleep like a lullaby.

Best Lyric: “Please don’t ever become a stranger whose laugh I could recognize anywhere.”

I would recommend everyone goes and listens to Reputation. It might just be Taylor Swift’s best album yet.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!​

Julia Novello is a Film and Television major at Boston University, with a minor in Political Science. Her interests include writing, pop culture, binge watching Friends, politics, travelling, and everything to do with Tom Brady. She is a native of Boston, MA.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.