This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As my first semester in college is coming to a close, I’ve found myself reflecting on the many freshman firsts I’ve experienced so far. For most (myself included), going to college is a monumental life transition and learning curve.

During my first few months at Boston University, I learned more about myself and navigating life than I have at any other time in my 19 years. Here is a collection of some of the most notable lessons about navigating college life that I’ve learned from all the freshman firsts.

Expectations Aren’t Reality

One of the first things I realized after spending a short amount of time on campus is that expectations are usually never reality.

I spent a lot of time imagining what college would look like, what I would do, how much free time I would have, what my day-to-day would be like, etc… It soon became very apparent that my imagined college life and the reality were two very different things.

My college reality was by no means worse than my expectations. It was just different. Often, the reality was better than what I’d expected. It’s hard not to have expectations, but just keep in mind that they are simply that. Be open to new opportunities and an exciting reality that you couldn’t have even imagined.

Only You Can Manage Your Time

Adulting is super fun, but sometimes it’s kind of difficult! I’ve realized that the freedom that comes with college life can be a double-edged sword. The newfound independence and more flexible schedule leaves us with more free time than in high school, and while this sounds great, it can sometimes be hard to manage.

It’s easy to think you have more time than you actually do. When you factor in commuting, eating, and adulting tasks (laundry, shopping, meetings, etc.) this extra time slips away.

I recommend building a daily routine of sorts and sticking to a reasonable sleep schedule during the week to make the most out of the extra hours of free time. Time management is a universal college learning curve, and I’m still finding my own balance between academic, social, and self-care time.

Pace Yourself

Listening to and pacing yourself is key to avoiding burnout. Like most freshmen, I hit campus ready to do it all. Social, academic, extracurricular, you name it, I wanted to be there. It was a few weeks in that I found out that this “do it all” lifestyle was unsustainable.

Unfortunately, there is too much to do and too few hours to do it all. BU has different events happening every day, giving students an abundance of opportunities to get involved, which can be both tempting and overwhelming. It’s so easy to feel pressure to get as involved as possible and be a part of every college experience right away, regardless of whether it actually interests you or not.

I would recommend going to as many events in the first couple of weeks as you can, but take stock of which activities you find yourself enjoying the most and as you settle in, you can put your time into just a  few of them.

Everyone’s In The Same BOat

Everyone is going through the same struggles and issues that you’re facing. Though it’s a cliche, I can guarantee that your peers are figuring out how to adjust just like you are.

It can often seem like your classmates have everything figured out, but the truth is that we are all just winging it. We all can find common ground in the struggle of dorm laundry, midterm mayhem, homesickness, academic stress, and so much more.

Look to your new friends to vent about the class that won’t give you a break and make space for them to share their own struggles. It’s a lot easier to overcome when we do it with the support of others.

The First Semester Is For Adjusting

Adjusting to a new environment and forming relationships will take time. That’s what the first semester is all about! No matter how ready you may feel to start this new phase of your life, it’s impossible to be completely prepared.

I’ve learned that it will take time to settle into a new environment, find a routine, and build a circle of friends that you really click with. Be okay with seeing the first semester as an adjustment period, and give yourself grace when things feel out of control. While this adjustment period can be exhausting, it’s also so much fun to be able to explore a whole new stage of life.

Be Present
Cameron Smith-Friends At Sporting Event
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

Do your best to be present. Yes, another cliche, but this one rings just as true.

I can say that my first semester has been a blur already. It can be so easy to get sucked into worrying about the future, your next midterm, classes for next semester, or even what career path you want, but worrying about what’s next doesn’t allow you to be present.

Soak it all up and try your best to be in the moment because it really does fly by.

As a new semester rolls around, we will all continue to learn and adjust to whatever college life throws at us. Welcome the challenges and treasure the little memories made every day.

After all, everyone says college was the best 4 years of their lives.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us yeah, I don’t know why on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets

Kate Rekas is a freshman on the writing team at the Her Campus Boston University Chapter. She was a writer and editor on her high school's newspaper "The Spectrum." She also is a member of the multimedia team on "The Daily Free Press," Boston University's independent and student run newspaper. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Kate is a member of the Boston University Figure Skating Team, and is still exploring different majors to pursue. When not studying or skating, Kate is exploring the city of Boston, and seeking out as many sunset watching opportunities as possible!